1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Quiet .22 shells

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by OregonDon, Jan 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OregonDon

OregonDon TS Member

I have recently read a couple of posts mentioning .22 cartridges that are no louder than a pellet gun. Does anyone know the name? TIA, Don

2. dverna

dverna Active Member

Tape a pop bottle to the end of muzzle to act as a silencer.

I have never done it but have been told it works.

You could try CB caps too.

Don Verna

3. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Target ammo is quite, most doesnt break the sound barrier therefore no "crack" when you shoot..

4. WindyOneNW

WindyOneNW TS Member

Any .22 short or or .22 Long Rifle sub sonic ammo should be what you are looking for.

5. dhip

dhip Active Member

I've heard an old baby bottle nipple over the end will silence most calibers.

Doug H.

6. 330craigd

330craigd TS Member

Remington or CCI CB 22 long. Not the Remington subsonics. They are louder then the cb 22 long . The CB 22 long travel approx 700 fps and the Remington subsonics travel approx 800-900 fps. You can check them out on the Remington website. The CB 22 long will not function a semi auto action, keep that in mind

7. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

You need .22 ammo that contains no powder; the bullet is launched by the powder of the primer compound only. Cheaper Than Dirt sells the ones I use down here to whack the pacas that raid the vege patch (love grilled paca). They caution against using them in long guns but my short-barrel Marlin does fine with them as does my .22 pistol. Cheaper Than Dirt.com

MK

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Do not buy Long Rifle .22's. You need CCI's CB LONG .22's. Not Long Rifle. Totally different .22's. They are every bit as quiet as a pellet gun if not quieter. Here is a pic of them. No other i have found can compare to these and that includes all shorts i have tested. They won't work most auto bolts so they are best used in single shots or lever action rifles. I use my Marlin 39A. Cabelas sells them as well as Bass Pro. As far as i know, nobody else makes .22 Long shells but CCI.

Matt

[​IMG]

9. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Active Member

Don the ammo you are looking for is Aguila 22 Super Colibri. No gun powder. I have shot two bricks of this stuff threw Winchester model 61 and Remington 572 pump rifles with no problems.

You can learn more over at Rim Fire Central under 22 ammo. About $30.00 per brick.

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

The Aguila 22 Super Colibri are louder than the ones i listed. The CCI CB Longs are also more powerful. Suit yourself though. Its all good.............:)

Matt

11. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

CCI CB Longs. 700+ FPS and a 29 grain pill. Twice the energy of a normal 22 pellet gun. Midway-USA also carries them. Quiet in a closed breach 22 rifle. The longer the barrel, the quieter they seem to be. They don't cycle any of the semi-autos I've tried them in. Some of the subsonic rounds work alright, but make more noise than the CB Longs.

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I use CCI .22 shorts through my 24" M61 and it is very quiet, on par with my 5mm pellet rifle. My approach to a silencer is to fire the rifle from inside the bathroom - window open just enough ..... The loudest noise outside the house is the vermin getting hit.

13. Don Rackley

Don Rackley Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I can tell you that CCI CB Longs are deadly on ducks. Very quiet also.

14. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

I routinely use short hollow points. Much quieter than my pellet rifle and kills better. The trick to the quiet .22 is to use a rifle, not a handgun.

15. OregonDon

OregonDon TS Member

Thanks very much to those who answered. Don

16. twotimer

twotimer Member

Don, if you can find an old Remington 550-1 auto, it cycles shorts. That is my rat gun. I have been on the deck shooting rats and talking on the phone and they couldn't tell I was shooting. Mike

17. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

My 552 Remington works fine with the CB Longs..my model 60 Marlin they dont have the oomph to cycle the action ..they'll do the job

18. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Keep in mind that there is a downside to firing .22 shorts and longs in a gun chambered for Long Rifle. After awhile the powder residue will build up and prevent Long Rifle cases from chambering until after a proper cleaning with a brush and solvent. Lead will also begin to build up, making cleanout a chore.

19. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

CB Caps is what you are looking for

20. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

CCI makes CB Longs, and CB Shorts. Both run at 710 FPS and are identiacal in every way except the length of the case. One is a log rifle case and the other is a short case. Both are pushing the same bullet and both only use the priming charge.

CB longs will not foul a Long rifle chamber as they go in just as far as a LR.

During the "rid raccons" thread all of this was discussed in excrusiating detail and I went out and bought every kind of ammo talked about.

The CCI stuff is by far the best.

I had one round, the Aguila 525 fps CB cap which was very quiet but would only penetrate a 2x4 about to the base of the bullet. All of my pellet guns will out do that so nothing good there.

CCI is the best for sure. the longer the barrel the quieter it is.

That was my entire .02 on this subject. Been there done that, never even got to shoot a coon! But I'm well stocked on .22 ammo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

22 ammo that doesnt break barrier

cci cb caps

quiet 22 shells

quiet 22lr trap