1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick question,

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Uncle Screech, Apr 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uncle Screech

Uncle Screech Member

For the past month or so I have been getting "rubbed raw" where I mount, to the point that it bleeds a little bit. I am not shooting any more or less than normal; a flat each time I go out, 1 oz load at approximately 1180fps. It's the same shotgun I've been using since last September and I can't think of what else might be making a difference. I've tried tight fitting undershirts, loose fitting, soft pull-overs, etc. and it just keeps happening. I am pretty sure I have picked up a bad habit but for the life of me I can't figure out what it is. I have asked others to watch to see if they can pick up on anything and no one sees anything out of the ordinary. Has anyone had this happen and if so what did you do to correct this little annoyance? And no, giving it a couple weeks to rest and heal is out of the question, those birds won't break themselves you know...

Thank you,

Greg

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Could be that you're not holding the gun as tight to your shoulder as you were before causing the pad to slip/slide a bit.

Eric

3. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

Kotex brand panty liner - stick to your Tshirt about the raw spot

no joking been using it for years-pk

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Thanks Phil!! Now the secrets out!!

But, a flat at a time? each time? How many times a week are you doing this???

5. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Wow! Talk about being thin skinned! :)

Have you tried a padded shooting shirt?

6. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

I have a permanent "rubber raw" spot. Have had it for years. During a layoff of shooting you can still see where it was. I just grin and bear it.

7. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

may wanna lay off for a bit let it heal or you will develope a bad habit and soreness that doesnt go away, and flintch to boot.
    I would also seriously think about a counter coil too!! Just a few less flats and its paid for while you let it heal.

I got sore for a while and just took a break, then got a limb saver, but the only time I do a flat is for 200 bird events not for practice (anymore).

Jerry

8. msmith

msmith Member

I have had the same problem. I never tried Mr.Kiners advice but I do do things to prevent this. I wear 2 t-shirts or I use baby powder on my shoulder. The funny part about the baby powder the guy who showed me this is a big biker type dude that I would not want to mess with. It does work. Mike

9. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I will shoot 300 rounds in a day. Trap and sporting clays. The only time I have a shoulder rubbing problem is when I don't wearing a vest.
    The vest will stop the the gun from vibrating against your shoulder and making you sore.
    Like Phil said use a pad. I like my vest and my wife likes her pads.

10. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

If you are wearing cotton clothing next to your skin, stop.

Cotton holds salts from sweat and additives from detergents that can grind your shoulder to hamburger. I had the same problem until I <UL><LI>switched to "Tech Wick" fabrics from Eastern Mountain Sports (available online) and <BR><LI>started washing my shooting shirts in "Sport Wash" detergent sold at athletic and hunting suppliers.</UL>

Tech Wick fabric is also used by golf and other clothing manufacturers to make shirts.

MK

11. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

Steve- yes on the inside- also saw Evan last weekend he looks great

The reason I said Kotex brand is because they have the best adhesive-
    also a little neosporin (sp)will help the healing

Had a young lady ask me if the pad went against the shirt or the shoulder -- I just replied-- think about it for a minute and then she blushed and said that was a dumb question

12. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

Besides PKs recommendation ofwhich Iam an advid user, at night use diapper rash ointment on affected area to promote healing. No recoil pad, recoil reducer or such will help with your problem.

13. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Just rub some sugar cure on it, that will draw out the blood.

Gne J

14. Uncle Screech

Uncle Screech Member

Thank you all for the replies, they helped. I just came back from the club and shot 11 rounds this morning. Eric, I think you hit the nail on the head with your comment. I had picked up a habit last fall of mounting the gun so tight that my arms would literally shake. It was pointed out to me and I forced myself to relax. Well I guess I took the relax part too far. I was trying to pay attention to the recoil this morning to see if maybe it was the pad digging into me and I noticed that the gun could easily slide up and down at the slightest touch. I mounted it a bit more firmly, I guess snug is a better description, and bingo, the pain was gone.

I still like the idea of 2 tee shirts which I was wearing this morning, I sweat like a professional and that helps wick it away from my skin. I also like the idea of the residue free detergent and am going to get some. Mr. Kiner, thank you for the thought but I just can't bring myself to do it. Some things just aren't meant to be in my life and that is one of them.

Finally, to trapshootin hippie, I appreciate the thought but I grew up in the 60's & 70's and everytime I took a hippies advice back then the law always seemed to get involved shortly thereafter. I'll stick to proper mounting for the time being; peace brother...

Thanks again to all...

Greg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.