1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Draw "McGraw"

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bill1949, May 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

Quick Draw

I enjoy watching Bob on "Shooting USA". His wife is a darn good shooter too...Bill

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Quick Draw

"I'll do the thinin' 'round here and don't you forget it!"

ec90t

3. Juno

Juno TS Member

Quick Draw

Insane!

4. Neal Crausbay

Neal Crausbay Member

Quick Draw

I am not sure just what all "world records" he claims, but I do know one or more are impossible.

I shot Fast Draw for several years back in the early '60's and competeted in several states and a lot of meets. His so called .02 of a second record is not possible. A single action revolver when cocked and the hammer held against the start button of a timer, takes roughly .03 (3 one-hundredths) of a second for the hammer to fall, fire the cartridge and the projectle reach the stop target. Keep in mind he has to also cock the revolver after it is drawn from the holster so this would envolve the hammer moving over the same path twice. Even if he could bring the hammer to full cock faster than it would fall under it's own power, it would still involve some elasped time to do this. The shot then requires a two trip hammer movement, at least some time for the gun to be drawn from the holster, so it is easy to see where .02 hundredths of a second is physically impossible.

I remember this guy from back when I used to compete and he was at least partially responisble for the rules that established a minimum time for off-the-button shooting and any time less than the minimum would be disallowed.

The way it works is when shooting off-the-button your gun hand holds the start button of the timer down so that when your hand leaves the button to initiate the draw, the timer starts. He, and some others, did what we called "rolling" off the button by continuing to hold the button down while twisting the gun out of the holster and fanning the hammer with the other hand, all done while the button is still depressed throughout most of the firing of the shot and therefore only recording on the timer a portion of the actual time.

No mistake that Bob is very good at fast-draw, but take some of his claims for records with a grain of salt.

5. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Quick Draw

I used to enjoy watching Bob on American Shooter. He is an amazing shooter and he is pretty cocky. He always claimed to be the fastest. Neal's description seems fitting. Fast draw was a very popular sport in the '60's when the TV westerns were big. I remember the westerns but have only read about the sport. It think it was most popular in the western US. Neal, did you compete with any celebrities? I've read that Hugh Obrian, who played Wyatt Earp, , was involved in it.

bill1949, Where do you see Shooting USA?

6. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

Quick Draw

JerryP; I see it on the Outdoor Channel on DirecTV...Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.