Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Dillon SL900 question

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Jerry944t 
#1 ·
I haven't used my Dillon for a couple of years so I loaned it to a friend that is using it to load one ounce skeet loads. He has reported having problems with the wad catching the top of the shell and creating a malfunction. He is using STS once fired hulls and figure 8 wads. I used STS hulls and Winchester wads and rarely had that problem. He says he can't load a hundred shells in a row without having it happen. I suggested replacing the wad fingers, but can't think of what else it may be if that isn't the problem. Any ideas?

#2 ·
This happened to me as well using a Remington Gun Club hull and Downrange eight petal wads. I switched back to Green Dusters and have not had a problem since. I tried all sorts of adjustments but nothing really helped until I went back to the Green Dusters. I have loaded several thousand rounds now without any problem.

#3 ·
I have found that after a while the device that holds the wad guide becomes sticky in it's holder because the lubricant gets dirty and gummy. If that wad guide can't move up and down freely you start getting cocked wads or wads that hang up on the edges of the cases. It has nothing to do with adjustments.

You need to clean that sleeve of all lubricant and re oil it with light oil. It should snap up and down with no hesitation.

Smash Em,

Jerry

#5 ·
Thanks guys. As I continue to think about it, it seems like I tried the figure 8 wads when I first got the loader and had problems with them too. I have used both the dusters and Winchesters without problems. I'll pass this on to my friend and hopefully get the problem resolved.

#6 ·
If the wad is catching on the top of the shell,it`s not the problem Jerry suggested.

The problem is that shells are diffrent length`s(very small diffrence)try lowering the powder filling station a turn ot two,this will open up the mouth of the hull and allow the wad to enter smoothly.

Call dillon and ask,they told me and zero problem`s since.

#7 ·
Bringing the powder measure down will certainly help flair the case and is a good idea but regardless of that the fingers of the wad guide are inside of the case if everything is operating properly so the wad should slip right in.

Let us know if you found the solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.