1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

¿QUI BONO; or, the Mysterious, Hidden '2nd part'

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by goatskin, Apr 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

"Part 1" of the proposed changes to the MN State Team selection would be to kill marathon targets from calculations, AND to establish 'favored' shoots (* shoots) where the birds WOULD count. Targets are NOT targets ... and some barnyard animals are more equal than other barnyard animals, according to Mr Orwell. Got it.

OK, BGC and their 'cheap' <i>UNQUESTIONABLY LEGAL</i> (but cheap) XXL Trashcan Lids thrown in a comfortable, fun atmosphere of free coffee & free donuts ... are gone. They are a 'pig', but not a 'PIG'. Now what? <i>Qui Bono</i> of course.

"Part 2" deals with how to make sure that some Pigs remain more equal than other Pigs. Shoots that elect to become ... well, one of <i>The Elect</i> (* shoots), would increase their target fees, and this increased amount (I have heard $4/100, plus ATA and MTA fees, additional, of course) would be granted to a traveling road-show of blind, agnostic, disinterested 'trap experts' who will administer and run the shoot (in order to make sure it is unquestioned and impeccably honest, level and ... 'fair', of course).

Anybody want to speculate on who would be the HMFIC of the Traveling Expert Trapburys?

hmmmm ...

Bob

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Look Bob, while it's true that as a citizen of the North Star State I'm as in love with conspiracies as anyone (Our former Governor Ventura, after all, is on a book tour flogging his volume that basically contends that all conspiracy theories are true) I still think you must be pulling my leg here.

It would explain, I suppose, the amazing reaction I got for simply asking how a *asterisk shoot would earn that title, but still. . . you are kidding, right?

Neil

3. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Neil, I saw Jesse wrassle a couple of times ... so I can believe any kind of stagecraft, smoke & mirrors and other conspiratorial elements. (and I rather liked his disdain for the Star-Trib, but I digress).

When I am faced with puzzling/interesting/morphing human behaviors that correct real or imaginary problems, I prefer parsimonious explanations and looking for movement in money.

Bob

4. crusha

crusha TS Member

What's this? Somebody's spoiled kid didn't get selected for the Junior State Team?

There's always something stupid behind this crap.

5. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

buzz ... Mosstimes, that does seem the way to bet, doesn't it?

When this that first surfaced, I was pretty sure this was a solution in search of a problem, too.

The easiest explanation is probably the simplest - not that any of the proponents would admit to it - they are looking at trapshooting in MN as a finite, fixed pie, and the more 'cheap' targets BGC throws, means fewer-but-more-expensive targets the 'real' clubs can throw.

Solution: don't let folks that are chasing the [EDITED -- MN] (not-MS) State Team register 'easy' marathon targets, and that way, the shooters will come to the 'real' clubs and pay more. (And a premium for * shoot birds.)

ALLLLLL that is, of course, is a thoroughly discredited economic fallacy, but it is still popular, here and there ... including national politics.

Bob

6. Neil Winston

Jeff Hoppes, is Bob's post correct? Not necessarily in detail, but "big picture" correct? *asterisk shoots will cost more and for the general reason Bob alluded to?

Neil

7. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

I think posting the whole proposal is a great idea.

8. Neil Winston

(deleted)

9. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

When did the abbreviation for Minnesowta become MS?

People in Mississippi can't even spell Minnesowta.

10. Primedust

Primedust TS Member

Swedish version is Minnesoooowta, Norwegian Too!
    Hooked on Phonics works! LOL!

Primedust

11. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

heh heh ... I fixed it.

12. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

Enough already!!!! As a MN shooter and 7 time member of the all state team I have to put in my $.02. Do not make it more difficult to shoot targets in MN. If some clubs that are having trouble look at your operation, there is a reason that shooters are going elsewhere or not shooting period. It seems that GC's and the MTA forget that the only reason they exist is to serve the shooters. Without us there is no need for them. I think the all state thing is not the real issue, who cares, its nice but not the reason that I go to a shoot. I have never given all state team selection a thought until I get a letter saying I have been selected. If some clubs think that this is going to get them more business, they are wrong. There are clubs that I won't shoots at, they have their own way of doing things and the shooter be damned. As a GC operator if you screw things up and lose the shooters its really tough to get them back. Cases in point would be MPLS and G Rapids, the people quit coming and they are slow to come back. THINK ABOUT IT.

13. Primedust

Primedust TS Member

Well the Board meeting for MN. Trapshooting is but a few days away, May 2nd. at Minneapolis Gun Club at 10:00. There the second half of the proposal will be presented to the Board of Directors for our discussion, review and perhaps even a vote to accept, reject or table this proposal. I have recieved a good deal of phone calls, some discussions at various gun clubs, emails and even a face to face meeting with some. Veiws are narrow and pointed. We will listen to the proposal and then decide where it goes. Obviously Jeff and Bob believe it is a good proposal or they would not present it.

A gentleman back in 1932, the president of the Rotary here in America at the time, Herbert J. Taylor, wrote a test by which all things for the good of a group of persons should live by when deciding if a cause if worthwhile. The Rotary still lives by them today! They are:

First - It is the truth?
    Second - Is it fair to all concerned?
    Third - Will it build goodwill and better friendships?
    and Fourth - Will it be a benifit to all?

It is a good rule to live by. I hear this quote very often in the charity world, and in my own home. I know we are not running a charity, but this is not bad advice ever. Now with the rotary if even one is answered no, there is no further discussion, it is deemed unworthy and is tabled forever. It is considered self serving and ungrounded. Many decisions and grants are thrown out every year because of this test. It is priceless. Too bad some of our legislative body doesn't use it.

Thoughts for the day.

Primedust

14. Kooz25

Kooz25 TS Member

Thanks Coach, I could not have said it better myself

Kooz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

qui bono fallacy