1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Queston about older MEC bar

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Gizmo110, Aug 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gizmo110

Gizmo110 TS Member

I have two older MEC charge bars they are the kind without bushings. Both are marked 302 12ga 0. Does anyone know what they are as far as powder charge and shot wieght. (I don't have a good scale yet or I would just measure them) Getting set up one piece at a time.

Thanks for the help.. and good shooting.

Tim

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

One VERY good piece of advice. Don't load even ONE shell without having a scale to check your drops. I'll say it another way, BUY A SCALE! It does not have to be a big and fancy one. It needs to be capable of weighing powder drops and maybe 500 grains in order to weigh shot drops as well. You can always use a lower capacity scale and split the shot drop and add the sum of the parts. Even the cheap LEE scale is better than nothing.

Buy or borrow a good book on loading Shotshells. Lyman's has a pretty good one, but sort of old school. It gets the job done. Mec also has some guides.

If memory serves me, it should be a 1 1/8 oz bar with a powder cavity that roughly equals a #31 bushing. The OH Bar had a slightly larger powder cavity if history is correct. I'd measure the ID of both cavities and compare them with a newer bar and bushing. I used them for 700-X and Red Dot in old loads in ancient hulls. Remember that I'm working on an old memory and a long time since looking at one. If you call Mec, they might be able to give you and idea, that is if anyone there is old enough to remember them. Or maybe IF anyone old enough CAN remember them. :)

If you are not familiar with loading shotshells, find someone willing to spend a little time to show you the ropes. If you are around Northern VA, Eastern MD, or Delaware, I'd be glad to give you a hand. We have volunteers (including myself) at a local club that can give casual instruction on reloading. We can cover Metallic and shotshells. Even Black Powder can be done. I'd rather spend a little time showing someone how, rather than try to find out what went wrong, after the fact.

3. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

This is from a 1960's Mec 600JR

Bar O. H. 1-1/8, 17.5 700X

Bar O. 1-1/8, 18.5 Red Dot, 21.0 PB, 20.5 P 5066, 20.0 700X. Get a scale Wayne

[​IMG]

4. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Those guys post above mine are correct in everything they said. I use to reload with that bar. Was about 18 grs of Red Dot and 1 1/8oz of shot. I had a good teacher. When ever he loaded he always used his scales.

Read above again!!! NO LOADING WITH OUT SCALES. just a word of caution and I wasnt yelling. We want shooters around a long time.

5. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Tim, you have two pieces now by your own addmission. Third piece needs to be a scale! Plain and simple. Thats how important of an item it is.

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Hint: a piece of good electrical tape in the hole can reduce a bar's charge very easily. cut to length and stick it firmly to the side of the cavity, it will stay there if it's clean when you apply it.

I used to do that with bushings till I got an adjustable bar.

HM

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

HM---I may have to try that one myself. I have alot of Hornady bushings for my 366 but i'm always looking for another bushing they don't have. ----Matt

8. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I used to build up a bushing with the wife's fingernail polish and weigh the results.

9. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Come on somebody must have the website for MEC in their adddress book. I don't have it in mine under this account but in another account. Mayville Engineering. Bill

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Google is your friend

HM

11. rick979

rick979 Active Member

I am sure he can find the website by just typing in MEC on internet explorer but that was not his question.

12. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

www.mayvl.com There it is I did have it in my favorites after all.
    Bill

13. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Yes that was not his question but MEC's site would have the answere to his question I am sure. 302 bars are for single stage MEC reloaders= from the MEC website. I did not take time to research the O that he mentioned on his bar. Wayneo answered taht O questoin quite well. i was jsut trying to get the MEC site in everone's mind to be helpfull. It obviously is not anything like the full spelling of their name as there is a Mayville Engineering Company that has nothing at all to do with reloading equipment. Thanks Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.