1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Questions regarding first registered ATA shoot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bonzai272, Mar 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bonzai272

bonzai272 Member

Nov 11, 2009
    I have been shooting unregistered singles about once a month for the past 9 months. I am a new member of the ATA and would like to attend my first registered event. Im going into this with no friends or family to show me the ropes. I have no experience with doubles or handicap so I will probably just show up on a Saturday morning and shoot 100 singles to get my feet wet.

Im curious as to how it works when I get there and what I need to bring (aside from the obvious gun and shells). Do I need to print out and bring some sort of shooting card, registration card or paperwork, etc? When I get there, I imagine its just a matter of registering with the staff, paying my fees, getting put on a field, squad and station, then waiting for my squad to be called, right? Im not very good yet so I suppose they would be put in a D class wouldnt they? I probably average 80/100 when I shoot singles.

Any tips, guidance and advice would be greatly appreciated. Im a little nervous going by myself but I love to shoot so Im going for it.
  2. harleypilot

harleypilot Member

Jan 7, 2007
    You have it right for the most part. They will sign you up for the ATA and probably your state association. They will supply your average card etc.

You will most likely be put in class A, until you have a couple of scores. Of course this depends on the person registering you at the shoot.

You will have a great time, and probably make some new friends.

Good luck,
  3. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Take your blue plastic ATA card, your 2010 average card and at least $50.00 and go shoot 'em up.

With no history on your average card, the people registering will know you're new, and if you have any questions ask them. Find out when your event shoots and how many targets per trap. I beleive a new shooter with no history is placed in a class no lower than "B".
  4. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

Aug 20, 2008
    Northern Illinois
    I got placed in D my first shoot (last year). I didn't know what to expect either but just jump in, everybody is very nice. I was glad I made the plunge. Good luck.

Dave Eberhart
  5. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2006
    If you already are an ATA member you will have a card from them. If not they will sign you up at the first shoot. Nothing else to take but money. Some clubs only take cash or checks. They will put you in some class proabably B or A unless they know you until you get a few hundred targets. Once your an ATA member, the ATA will send you a blue card and an average card that you will take to the rest of the shoots. Handicap is nothing different than singles other than you are further back. They would probably make you start on the 20 or 22 yard line for handicap.
  6. Bill D.

Bill D. Member

May 30, 2008
    South Jersey
    New to ATA last year. They put me in C class.
  7. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Jan 29, 1998
    Prairie State
    First, everyone has been in your shoes, so look for a line of folks and ask a question or two. Have your Blue ATA embossed card as well as the computer-generated score card... expect to buy some type of state membership at the event.

If you don't yet have your ATA card and number, check the ATA website or call the ATA to get it... and bring your application copies and ID.

Read the program if you have one... If its a target-only event (no trophies or money) classification wont matter and they'll set you up at 20 yards for handicap. If its a trophy/money program and the program says so, management may reserve the right to penalize you for having insufficient or no targets, BUT again, only if the program says so...

Have a great time building your average and developing a handicap!

regards all,

8. Squeal

Squeal Member

Apr 2, 2009
    You can join the ATA in advance here:

or you can join at your first shoot.

Around here you are classed "B" singles and doubles
    and 20 yds for handicap.
  9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2007
    What most folks do is just show up to the club hosting the ATA shoot and join the ATA on the spot. Make sure you get there early though. Typically new members will get classified as B class for singles and doubles and be assigned 20 yards for their handicap.

After you shoot the match, your scores will go to the ATA along with your membership app and they will in return send you the plastic membership card and a shoot card. This shoot card will become important in determining how you are classified in future shoots. It is important that you record the results of every registered event you shoot on that card the same day you post those scores and up date your averages accordingly.

Now as far as what to take, gun and legal shells for sure, eye protection, ear protection and a vest or pouch to hold your ammo and finally take plenty of cash or a check book. You will meet alot of people willing to show you the ropes but few are actually qualified to teach you how to shoot. Watching the better shooters (AA class) will give you an idea of where you want to go and how it should look but it is a learning process that takes time and dedication.

Good luck and have fun.
  10. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2006
    near Tucson Trap
    The one thing about your squad and shooting,

Find where your squad will shoot, and watch the squads progress, I have yet to be called for my shoot time, smaller clubs you can watch the squads go out while waiting your turn, larger clubs have some type of on deck board to watch.

It is up to the shooter to know where and figure out when to shoot.

The club my take 4 or 5 min. to find a lost shooter, put the squad may start without a shooter who isn't there in a reasonable amount of time.

AL Lingham

By the way go have fun, you will have plenty help getting you where you need to be, just ask, don't be shy!
  11. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Dec 29, 2009
    Usually they will classify you(a new shooter)in B class.Don't worry about this we've all gone through it.That is the penalty you get for not having enough targets.That will change after you get a few(300-500 or so)registered targets on your score card.I'll tell you what......you are going to have a GREAT time.I was in your shoes not too long ago( no targets,and getting penalized).I still get penalized in doubles(B class)because I don't shoot them too often.If you like shootin,you are going to love this sport.Keep an open mind,and enjoy the people(great folks in general)food,and the shoot.Just focus an the birds,and forget the ones you miss,you'll do just fine.Good luck,and good shooting!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.