1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

questions on using chrony

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hunter1978, Jun 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hunter1978

Hunter1978 Member

I got a chrony and have just started using it. How much veriation is typical/aceptable in speed of reloads. does it matter exactly where you shoot through the screens I've been shooting in the middle of them from 5 feet and getting a standard divation of around 21 using rem hull 19.5 green dot, rem primer, blue duster wad and 1-1/8 7.5 shot. I weight my drops and they seem consistant. getting an average of 1170fps

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

If you are using a full choke, the SD is meaningless.

Neil

3. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

SD is what causes vertical.......oooouuuuups....my bad.....never mind.

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Neil is right on that one. I use a choke as close to cylinder bore as I can get when chronographing with "Light" screens. If you are getting fairly consistent results, then you are probably doing it right. Keeping yoru distance and aim point consistent can make a different in the accuracy of your results. If all you are looking for is the average velocity of a load, then you should be good to go. I chronographed a load very close to yours and had similar results. I don't use Duster wads, so that would be the difference between my load and yours.

5. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

About 20FPS is my experience with my ProChrono. I use the same load as you except I drop 1-1/16 oz lead. Speed jumps up about 60FPS to 1230. But using a lite Full Choke gun puts some shot out ahead of the pod and likely the chronos are measuring those few faster pellets. I do not know for sure. Neils onto something with that cylinder bore stuff.

6. Hunter1978

Hunter1978 Member

My loads were mostly within 20 fps of each other (other then one without powder 57fps) but I did run 10 remington gun clubs (factory loads) that averaged 1200fps but I got anywhere from 1136 to 1256 fps on them.

7. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Hunter,

Just curious, what type chrono are you using?

Thanks,

Jon Reitz

8. himark

himark Well-Known Member

I use the Chrony and found they were faster than they really are by about 30 fps. I used the charts to compare than also used known factory loads assuming the factory loads are close to advertised speeds 25-30 FPS faster reads.

9. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Oh just for reference, 14.5 grains 700X and a 1 oz load full choke showed 1200 FPS 1208 FPS 1192 FPS. These spec out of the book at 1100 FPS. I truely feel there actual speeds were 1180 ish.

EDIT, one thing I have done since chrony was new is to lay a 2x4 on edge right in front of the reader to prevent damage. It has caught a couple bb's over time so it may save you a chrony.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.