1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Questions on powder

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by deercreek, May 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

Red Dot is Red Dot. I just recently used some RD that was bought somewhere around 1984-1986, was half a keg and still in the cardboard contained and always stored in a really damp basement--it worked great as always other than the traditional "dirty". You got a really great buy on that Clays powder too.

2. TommyTEREX

TommyTEREX Member

maclellan1911, Hercules, was bought out by Alliant, same powder, as for storage, if powder is stored correctly it`s good for years. I recently lost an uncle, I was given his left over components, part of which was 8#s of 700x from the early 80s, it worked fine.

Open the powder, and smell it, if it smells acrid ( not sure of spelling), it`s decomposing, DON`T USE IT!

Tom R.

3. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Acrid is spelled correctly, and it is a burning sensation in the nose. Don't confuse it with the ether smell that is normal.

4. dverna

dverna Active Member

I just got A deal on 8 pounds of old Red Dot and intend to use it with current Red Dot data. Powders that have not "turned' (acrid smell) are fine.

If in doubt use 2 3/4 dram loads (which is all I shoot anyway)

If in doubt, call Alliant - they are the best source for info and will help you out.

Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.