1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Questions on an old trap shoot

Discussion in 'Shoot Information, EVENTS, Clinics & Results' started by Jack Kay, Mar 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack Kay

Jack Kay TS Member

Feb 23, 2013
    I was researching a shoot that took place in Wilmington DE in 1911 and have several questions about what I read in the newspaper accounts. This shoot was for the Eastern Handicap, it was shot in July at the Dupont gun club. According to the papers, the targets (150) for the first day was shot in 10 events of 15 targets at $1.40 per event with an optional sweepstake of $1.00 per event . There was a back system of $1.00 for the day. The second day was set up exactly the same for 150 targets same prices and specs. The third and final day of the shoot was for 100 targets (I think these were shot at handicap distances) carried in 5 events if 20 targets at $1.80 per event with optional sweepstakes of $1.00 per event and the back system of $1.00.

Question 1) How did they shoot the 15 (or 20) targets for an event? Everyone shoot 3 (or4) targets then change position like we do today when we shoot 5 then move or shoot 15 targets in the same position then move to the next position in the 2nd event and keep going in that rotation?

Question 2) What is an optional sweepstake? Is it money put into a pot that gets distributed among the high scoing shooters? Or what?

Question 3) What is a back system?

Jack Kay
  2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Jan 29, 1998

I sent you a PM in reference to the information you request.

Curt - Delaware
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.