1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Questions for pipe smokers

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Tron, Feb 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

With the long winter nights upon me, I find that my evenings are filled with boredom and I've been looking for a new hobby. I remember when I was just a little nipper, my Grand Dad would smoke a pipe. Although Grand Dad didn't always smell so good, that pipe sure did and he would even let me try it from time to time.

So, I ask you pipe smokers, what should I look for in Tobacco, Pipes, pipe cleaners, etc. The more information that you could give me on this sort of hobby, the better. I'm eager to start smoking a pipe as soon as I can dig myself out from the latest snow storm.

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Tron--I really don't think starting to smoke is a good "Hobby". Just say'n.....

Matt

3. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

A little brass one with a tiny screen in the bottom of the bowl. Or a large plastic one that's filled with RWL Pagan Pink Wine. Make sure the seeds don't pop in your eye. I believe it should snow twice a year. Christmas Eve, and the opening day of deer season. Man it's been a long winter. F/S.

4. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Don't smoke a pipe while driving ... if you bump someone and your airbag goes off the pipe will be sticking out of the back of your head!!

Bob

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Just let it rest on the bottom for a few minutes, then start reeling with a little twitch every 5 or six seconds.........

And set the drag a little on the light side.

You could save some money and just go outside and suck in some of that Detroit air.

HM

7. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Captain Black tobacco
    It will take a while to get a pipe "broke in" you will have to smoke it for a few months before its broke in good..
    pack it with 'backer real good, take a couple of puffs cough a few times and then stick it in your shirt pocket while its still lit.. I tried to smoke a corn cob pipe once but wasnt manley enough.. all the other info is gathered from a guy who worked for me for 5-6 years.. good luck!

8. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Tron, I would try to find a pipe that fits your personality. I suggest one that blows bubbles. Try "Toys r us".

9. GW22

GW22 Active Member

"You could save some money and just go outside and suck in some of that Detroit air."

That's pretty friggin hilarious right there.

-Gary

10. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Dear Tron:

Albert Einstein, Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain), General MacArthur and countless other distinguished men smoked pipes.

Many women adore men who smoke a pipe.

I used to smoke a pipe years ago and still occasionally put an old favorite in my mouth just for kicks.

Pipe tobacco comes in many, many different flavors and types so you have many choices.

As a new smoker, I would stay away from any of the so called “aromatics” as they contain a special Turkish/Eastern European grown tobacco called “deer tongue.” It gets its name based on its shape and while it smells good, it will cause your tongue to burn.

Instead, you may want to start out with a traditional pipe tobacco like Sir Walter Raleigh. This is a one hundred years old product and is very soft smoking and has the classic pipe tobacco aroma.

Dr. Grabow (http://www.drgrabow.net) is the classic American pipe and they make a wide variety of pipes, pipe cleaners, pipe tools, pipe filters, etc.

Yes, any tobacco product puts you at risk of cancer but most pipe smokers do not inhale the smoke so, in theory, pipe smoking is less risky than other forms of tobacco use.

Ed Ward

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    My dad died from cancer of the lung lining, which is a form of cancer non-smokers almost never get. Even though he stopped 28 years ago, it caught up with him anyway. He lasted exactly 60 days from the first diagnosis.

There ain't anything dignified in drowning in your own lung fluid while having someone else wipe the crap from your ass like a baby, as you grow weaker every day.

Good luck with your new hobby.

12. School Teacher

Brian, I held my dad's hand when he died from lung cancer so I understand your feelings. He started smoking before he was 10 and he died at 67. I miss him greatly.

I never smoked cigarettes and only smoked a pipe for a few years while in college. I still have several pipes and every time I read a Sherlock Holmes story, I get the urge to smoke a pipe full.

Tobacco is a stimulant and in some people it improves the thought process.

Ed Ward

13. crusha

crusha TS Member

My dad smoked a pipe the whole time I was growing up. He had many flavors of backy, but I always loved the smell of the cherry kind best, though he didn't use it much.

At a novelty store in Tawas City, he found these little "cigarette loads" that were sold in small tins of 20 or so. It was a little white item containing a small powder charge, which was inserted suppository-style into the end of a cigarette. You'd nab your buddy's pack of smokes, pull one out, load 'er up, and put it back in. The hapless victim would then light up, take a few puffs, and get an underwear-ruining surprise. This was back in the 70s, when everybody could smoke in the office. Dad pulled this stunt on cigarette-smoking coworkers often enough that they got to where they were afraid to light up.

'Course you know the rest. I was just as much of a smart-ass then as I am today. Dad didn't always clean out his pipes thoroughly between smokings, leaving some residue in the bottom...so I fixed him one up. I never knew which pipe he'd smoke on a given night, so the anticipation was just killing me...on pins and needles the whole time. He was down in the basement working on his beer can collection one night and off it went...I heard cans clink-clanking on the floor, then feet running up the steps...his hair was blown back and he had tobacco all over his face. If it hadn't been for my mom laughing her ass off and reminding him how much he liked to do this to other people, I wouldn't be writing this.

(Borkum Riff has the best aroma, by the way).

14. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

OK, lots of guys have chimed in about the bad stuff. Pipes do fall into a different category IF you don't do it every day and IF you don't do it in a closed car and IF you don't inhale.

Now, a DR. Grabow is a good starting pipe. Pick a light one with a medium bowl. Next, stay away from the fruity aromatics...the propylene glycol with which it's dressed will burn your tongue. I prefer straight English tobaccos like Frog on the Pond and Frog on the Bayou but Sir Walter Raleigh or Prince Albert are both good light smokes.

Corncobs are cheap and smoke very well. Now, honestly, all forms of smoking will raise your pulse rate and your BP. Daily pipe smoking will increase your likelihood of lip, tongue and throat cancer whether or not you inhale. I limit my pipe smoking to two bowls per week at most and some weeks I go without all together. I like the taste, the smell and the experience so I run the risk. Consider it carefully before you decide to indulge.

15. Mapper

Mapper Member

Tron, lots of good pipes around. Dr. Grabow isn't any of them. Kaywoodie was one of the good American pipes. THe best are British. I figure you are old enough to make up your own mind. If you are serious, I will give you a couple. Shoot me an e-mail if you mean it.

16. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

Wow, I use to love smoking my pipe before my open heart surgery. It was in my mouth almost all the time. Prior to the operation, my cardiologist said that 3% of the population can use tobacco without any problems. I was not in the 3%. You probably are not either. He said the nicotine, tar, and other chemicals irritated the lining of the arteries, causing them to scuff up, collect plaque, and cause heart failure. I told him I didn’t inhale, and he said the nicotine and tar were being absorbed thru the tissue in my mouth and throat. Trust me; the surgery was not much fun. As much as I enjoyed the pipe, I suggest you pick another winter hobby.

17. quartering

quartering Active Member

i like to drink when i can't smoke. and it's just as great a hobby!

18. School Teacher

Hugh Heffner smokes a pipe and he is still going strong even in his 80's, if you know what I mean. He still seems to be popular with the ladies. Some say that he takes so much of a little blue pill that they will not be able to close his casket properly when he does pass away.

Dr. Graybow and Kaywoodie are moderately priced American brands of pipes. Each has its own mechanism of controlling the amount of juice that is generated when you smoke a pipe. You can spend some serious money on European made and carved pipes.

One especially collectable and desirable type of pipe is a “meerschaum”. Meerschaum means “sea foam” which is a white ivory like substance found along the coastline of Europe. I remember one such pipe made in Germany that had a nubile mermaid carved onto the front of the bowl. It was darkened from use but when warm, two little protuberances on the front of the pipe turned a nice ivory white. It was quite a conversation starter.

I looked at some of my old pipes and one of my favorites was an OSCAR which is made in Italy of Italian briar. Another is an orange "The Pipe" which is made of a special proprietary heavy plastic like material and it smoked very dry. It was advertised in Playboy and Playboy did an article on it with favorable comments by Hugh Heffner himself. My wife bought it for me as a birthday present in 1970. Its bright orange color created quite a sensation among pipe smokers and many brands copied its color. I liked to smoke it on cold mornings in my bass boat.

I worked for one tobacco company, P. Lorillard - the maker of Kent and Newport cigarettes, while in engineering school. They had a small plant in Louisville, KY that although small made cigarettes, small cigars, Beechnut chewing tobacco and pipe tobacco. Their pipe tobacco brands included Burgundy, India House, Granger and Union Leader. India House and Burgundy were highly aromatic and the area of the plant where they were made had a wonderful smell. The area where Beechnut chewing tobacco was made had an acrid smell that made you hack and cough from the dust. That area, when the tobacco was wet and curing smelled like s***.

The cherry flavored tobacco that Buzz Gun spoke of was probably Middleton’s Cherry Blend which was hugely popular among college students and a national best seller. I tried it but it had too much “bite”. Borkum Riff was one of my favorites. It was a stringy cut Cavendish style tobacco made in Sweden that was flavored with Kentucky bourbon whiskey and was a very smooth smoke. Later, the company also had scotch whiskey and cognac flavored blends. What’s not to like.

I retired from another tobacco company, Brown and Williamson - the maker of KOOL, Viceroy and Lucky Strike cigarettes. B&W was owned by British American Tobacco. The company motto was "enjoy smoking".

Alas, my pipe smoking days are over (I think) due to the reasons stated above but pipe smoking yielded many enjoyable moments.

Ed Ward

19. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Just one comment, DON'T.--- I do (smoke a pipe) & I know, I'm 70 & wish I'd never started. --Ross

20. willing

willing Member

We used to go to a tobacco shop and blend our own. Also went to the tailor to get my best suit trousers inwoven from tobacco that fell out while driving. I think that was one reason for 2 trouser suits.

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

does granger pipe tobacco still use the wellman process

trap shooting and pipe smoking