1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Questions for all you P/W experts out there

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kgun_shooter, Jan 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

I have a size-o-matic 900 P/W press that has served me well for over 12 years. The loader has worked flawlessly until the last few months or so. Now I've noticed three different problems and I'm trying to figure out why there happening.

1. The star gears that house the bushings do not make a full cycle when the handle is pulled down. Meaning that with the timing dots alligned perfectly when the handle is pulled down completely the bushings are not centered over the drop holes. This causes inconsistent loads because a lot of the powder and BB's hang up on the rims.

2. With the loader empty, the shell holders seem to stick on the shell seating station when the handle is pulled down. I thought the plastic removal die was bad but that wasnt' the problem nor is the seating post set too high.

3. I bought the new EZ fill hopper and base. Now I seem to get a lot of drag when I load. Mostly when I push the handle back up.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Re. #1.. I would check the upper and lower linkages that operate the rack. If they are original they may well be worn. I had the same problem with all of my 900s.

To check this, get a firm grip on the bottom linkage (red arrow) and hold it still while you try to move the top link (green) for and aft in its normal direction of movement. If there's any movement that will account for the failure of the bushing holes to center over the drop hole. The hex shaft and the hex broaches in the links will wear over time and move on the shaft. Once these parts are replaced (upper link, lower links, hex shaft and assorted screws/washers), everything will be tight on the shaft. Then the travel of the top link in its slot needs to be checked and adjusted if needed before the press is put back into use. <center>
    [​IMG]
    </center>

Keller

3. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

Unknown1,

You wouldn't happen to know how to take those parts off. I tried to take the top off but couldn't figure out how to separate the center shaft from the top of the machine.

4. Unknown1

<UL><LI>Empty the hoppers and remove the hopper carrier (plate assembly).<LI>Remove the rack.<LI>If you have a snap ring tool that fits, remove one of the snap rings from either the top or bottom pin of the long link and remove the pin.<LI>If you don't have a snap ring tool, remove cap screw "A" from the underside of the bottom crosshead.<LI>Loosen cap screw "B" about 2/3 of the way and use a soft hammer or a hammer and a block of wood to tap it down and free the assembly from the underside of the top crosshead. <LI>Remove screw "C" to remove the support and the spacers, keeping them in order. (You can remove either screw to take the spacers off. I usually remove the one at the lower link end of the hex shaft because it's usually loose anyway.)</ul> <center>
    [​IMG]
    </center>

PW's instructions and "cautions"...<center>
    [​IMG]
    </center>

Keller

5. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

Great! Thanks for all the info.

6. elinvar

elinvar Member

I bought a used 900 and it was doing the same thing- The linkage was sloppy not moving the rack all the way- called whiz white and he said it was the hex shaft- cost less than 20$ and a about an hour and it was fixed.
    T. Jones

7. Unknown1

You were lucky...

Out of the 4, 900s I have, 4 had worn out hex shafts AND worn out lower arms and on all of them the screw in that end of the shaft was less than TIGHT. Don't know whether that was the cause or the result but it makes no sense to me to replace just some of the old parts when you have to disassemble something to do it.

The outer lower arm is especially prone to wear because a bit of it hangs out past the end of the hex shaft so the screw and washer can hold it tight against the spacer between the 2 arms; some of it remains unsupported by the hex shaft. The screw at that end of the shaft now gets a drop of red thread locker instead of a lock washer because you can take the upper arm and spacers off from the other end.

On the last one I rebuilt I used AN washers (better quality) and longer screws plus threadlocker (better tightening). The screws they use in that application are too short to get more than a couple threads worth of purchase. The factory has longer screws that will fit. You just have to ask them to send you some when you order the parts.

Keller

8. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Your drag is most likely caused from the o-ring rubbing on the powder gear, and/or you have the two nylon adjusting screws on the base of the EZ-Fill turned down too tightly, causing drag on the Rack Gear. And, if you have the aluminum reservoir base, then that with the o-ring can really cause hard movement/drag.

How do you know that the shell seating post is not too high? If the die at that station is hitting the shell seating post as you move the operating handle, then it has to be too high.

Also, check to see that the Die Access Plate does not have a small crack in it. Take it out and inspect it carefully, if you've not done so already. Also, check the top area of it at about 9 o'clock of it hole; check for a smooth taper up - this permits the die and hull to move freely to the next station. Guys have been having trouble with these plastic pieces and I had a guy make some in aluminum, but if the S/S Post is too high, no Die Access Palte is going to solve the drag problem.

When a hull is seating at Station #1, the base of the brass should be level with the base of the die. Too far sup in the base of the die, and you get these problems. If you have the Shell Seating Post set too high, then the post will rub against the brass and cause drag.

I'd have to guess that your shell seating post is probably too high, not letting the operating handle return to battery. Also, a primer seating assembly sitting to high can cause the same problem, as well as the stub shaft on the base located at about 11 o'clock could be setting too high. This is a remote possibility, because most folks don't screw with that piece - BUT I SEEN IT HAPPEN.

I would check and tighten ALL set-screws, etc on the machine.

Whiz

9. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

The set screw on the shell seating post come loose and it was too high, so that problem is now fixed. But the hex bolt looks fine and still fits tight in the arms. Next I look to see if the retaining pin is worn out.

10. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

The drag you feel in the handle could be from the powder seal (assuming the two nylon set screws that support the rack are not too tight). The way to fix that is to loosen the front two thumbscrews that hold the base on. The weight of the powder and shot will provide enough pressure for the seal to work effectively. The rear two thumbscrews should be tight.

If you have the original aluminum base with the tall tubes the o-ring seal could be rolling out of its groove. This could be causing the drag that you feel in the handle on the up stroke. This can also cause irregular drops. The aluminum EX-FILL bases (mine and P/W's) use a square section seal that works much better than the o-ring due to its shape and the fact that it is glued in place.

Jim Skeel<BR>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.