1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Questions about Wenig Custom Stocks

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by kreith, Aug 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kreith

kreith Member

Mar 5, 2006
    I have done many searches on TS.com about Wenig and have really learned that they are one of the best when it comes to getting a custom stock created. My question is basically cost and fit. How much were the extras such as recoil pad, adj. comb, etc. I know that it is $395 to get fitted plus wood. I have their catalog, but wanted insight from people that already have had Wenig make a stock for them.

1. How did the process go?
    2. How was their wood selection?
    3. Did you upgrade any items or just take standard finish and checkering?
    4. What suprised you about the fitting? Were there any hidden type fees or very straight forward?
    5. Did you take your gun home and shoot it for awhile or have them finish it right away?
    6. How were your scores when you started shooting the new stock?
    7. Would you do it again?
    8. Was there anything that was suprising?

I am dedicated to getting a custom stock made, but am very weary about dropping anywhere between 2-4K. I don't want my scores to drop and then be pissed about spending that kind of money on a stock. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for all your help.
  2. Don Rackley

Don Rackley Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Jan 14, 2007
    K80 shooter,

This has been posted and described several times, but I will try to answer your questions.

1. The process starts with a cheap blank that is bondo'd and rasped until you say it fits right. I would recommend knowing your desired POI in inches before you go there as they have a laser bore light that can be used to set the comb height.

2. Wood selection is anything you want from cheap, straight grain to beautifule blank and turkish walnuts. You may be like a kid in a candy store.

3. I upgraded my checkering and opted for a full forearm checker similar to Perazzi used in the realy 90s.

4. No surprises in the fitting, make sure you mount the gun exactly like you would on the line. Fitting fee was similar to your number. Adjustable comb and recoil pad were not cheap.

5. I let them finish my stock and got it about 6 weeks later, some people take it home and shoot it for awhile. How many times do you want to make the trip?

6. I have shot better scored with this stock, BUT more importanly, the gun fits and recoils straight back. The grip is more comfortable for my hand than any other I have shot.

I figure about $2k minimum for a stock and forearm set, it can go up from there. Post your email addy and I will send you pics of my set if you would like.

Don Rackley
  3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Dec 9, 2006
    Just dealing with wenig with their Semi inletted stocks. Is enough for me to use them If I ever decide to go true custom. If you where thinking of going with a adj/comb adj/recoil pad and or reducer. Maybe haveing them fit some nice wood to your gun with all the adjustables is a more cost savings route. I have only used their plain grain stocks, which still come out nice.<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a> this is the one I did for my wife. New american trap ladies left hand. final fit and finish by me. First time.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.