1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

questions about the db81

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by capt kirk, Dec 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capt kirk

capt kirk TS Member

Can anyone shed some light on the db81. was wondering how high shooting these guns were when they came out? I currently shoot a MX3, which i consider a fairly flat shooting gun. Is the db81 in this same class, just with a higher rib??? thanks

2. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

The 2 DB81's I owned both shot pretty flat.. Trap2 (Dan).. is the go to guy on these guns.. All Good.. Mike

3. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Ask TPS, he's got one

4. TEXASBEN

TEXASBEN Member

Mine shoots a pattern high for me,the way I have it adjusted. A good friend, has shot it and states it shoots about 60/40 for him. Yes we have patterned it on a pattern board. Love the gun have had it for 11 years, if I do my job it dose its.

Ben Dobson

5. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Capt_Kirk... The early DB-81, as it came from Perazzi, was a notoriously flat shooting gun. Many shooters could never get them to shoot high enough for their required POA. Roger Smith was a big dog, and shot one for many years, and shot it very, very well. Check his stats. As I understand it from Phil Kiner, Tom Seitz, as I recall, bent Rogers barrel to shoot 100% high. I have owned several, and consider it to be one of Perazzi's best handling guns, next to the MX3 Special. My preference was for the earlier DB-81's which came with 2 sets of triggers and 2 forends. These were pre DB-81 Special's. I feel they were much better built than the later ones. Better steel and better workmanship, in my opinion. My preferred POI with that gun was 3" high at 13 yards, which I could easily get by raising my comb considerably with a custom stock. Very fluid and dynamic to the target. I just found out that, as I get older, my eyes needed to be closer to the barrel to break good scores, so I sold my last DB-81 in favor of a MX3 Special.... You have a great gun that, if you stick with it and learn to shoot it, will give you some very respectable scores in the future... Dan Thome (Trap2)

6. bigben

bigben Active Member

Capt, I had 2 combo sets, both were 60/40 AT BEST, I had an early one and a late one, I bought them new the late one had less than 100 rounds through it and the top tang bluing started to fail, so at a preliminary Grand, I took it to Perazzi, the tall one behind the counter looked at it and said in his Italian accent, "normal wear" also the barrel on the o/u had streaks on it as the bluing did't take well because of the solder running down the side and not being cleaned properly! I doubt it would shoot any higher than your MX_3, incinerate em!

7. Don Rackley

Don Rackley Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I first shot a DB81 gun about 1992, great guns. Looking flat down the rib, the single barrel shoots typically 3" high at 34 yards. The O/U under barrel will shoot about the same as the single barrel, thh top barrel of the O/U will shoot 50/50.

With stacked beads all barrels will shoot higher.

Don Rackley

8. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Well.. I'm glad to see we all got about the same results.. Perazzi.. for the most part..sells flat shooting barrels.. except for the adjustable rib models.. Now.. I have seen a few custom (from the factory).. live bird barrels that shoot..(at my best guess 90/10).. When they come into Giacomo's.. at the GRAND..I've been able to see and measure them... but not shoot them..

9. rbmtrap

rbmtrap Member

Love the ones I've got - of course having Wilkinson and Seitz barrels don't hurt... Easily 80/20 with the fixed combs, more with adjustable. Wonderful rib height, love the inability to change rib height - learn to shoot what you've got - same as MX3/8...

10. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I have a different experience with the 2 that I owned. The first one shot at a minimum 50/50 and likely lower as I had to use vertical bbl momentum to break a target. And I was not smart enough to pattern the gun to figure where it shot. I sold that gun and got out of shooting. When I came back to shooting I bought another and it shot 100% low. Really. Fortunately, I began my second shooting career by attending a Campbell clinic and he got the PFS I had on it jacked up so that I had about a 4 bead space between the beads and it then shot 100% high. I sold it the next week. Perhaps it was an altered gun. Again, I was not to smart back then and just smart enough now to put all new guns I buy on the 13 yard pattern board to see where they shoot. All that said...

there were 50 custom ribbed DB81s made during the "Special" era. Custom made for Giacamo. Those would shoot at about 100% with stacked beads.

I still have a pic of that infamous 100% low gun somewhere in my computer archive. I sold the gun to a well-known FL chair shooter. He shot it some and then I saw it on the Cabelas store in Hammond Indiana. Today it is still looking good but frustrating the hell out of some bloke. I'll look for the pic.

11. capt kirk

capt kirk TS Member

Dont get me wrong guys, i love my MX3, but my reasoning for asking about the DB81 was the higher rib! My problem with my MX3 is that even with a custom wenig stock my eye is still fairly high over the rib, and i have alot of space between the beads. Now i know that shouldn't be an issue, my issue is i feel as thou with looking down on the barrel ie:shooting off the end of the barrel that i am getting disconnected from the rib. My thinking was that if i was closer to looking flat down the rib that disconnect might go away. Also this is with the comb in its lowest position, i'd like to try shooting a higher POI, but by raising the comb to get the higher POI, i'am going to get even farther away from the rib.... Any sugguestions, was even thinking of a keensight adjustable add-on rib, but hate to drop $500 for something that might or might not work for my issues... again any suggestions....

12. perazziboy1

perazziboy1 TS Member

My DB81 Special has about 3/16" taper in the rib on the top single. The O/U rib is straight. With about 3 bead spaces my POI is 7"@ 13 yards. I did have Wilkinson do his magic and raise the O/U POI to match the top single. This gun has taken me to 27 yards, a 200 several 100's and a Wisconsin State Handicap title,so the DB81 is a good choice IMHO. Steve Wolf

13. perazziboy1

perazziboy1 TS Member

My DB81 has 3/16" of taper in the rib of the top single. The O/U rib is straight no taper. I had Wilkinson do his magic and match all 3 bbls to the same POI. With about 3 bead spaces i get 7" high @ 13yds. This set up has taken me to 27yrds a 200 several 100's and a Wisconsin State Handicap title,so the DB81 is a good choice,IMHO. Steve Wolf

14. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Hey Cap... I shoot 100% high on my MX3 with a 2 bead space. I do not become disconnected.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.