1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Questions about reclaiming shot?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Capt. Morgan, Aug 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

I registered on this forum to ask a few questions about the business end of reclaiming shot.

I recently bought 1000 pounds of reclaimed shot from a man who was working for a club in my county. He was charging 89 cents a pound for the shot screened several times, cleaned of stones, debris and corrosion and coated with graphite. I wanted to ask him about the process but he could not be there when I picked up my shot.

I'm wondering how the process works, business-wise. The fellow had several pieces of excavating equipment with him plus his processing gear. He was living in a 32-foot travel trailer on the club grounds and had phone, cable and internet access.

I saw the shot he had already prepped for sale and it amounted to about 4 oil drums full of screening shot that was selling for 83 cents a pound and 2 drums full of the cleaned stuff. There were three long piles (20ft X 5ft X 5ft) of shot/dirt/whatever in the field covered with tarps waiting to be processed.

I can't imagine that he is going to pay for all his expenses in transportation, time and equipment by selling the shot at less than a dollar a pound. I don't know whether the club pays him to do this, if it takes a cut if the sales or how it works.

I realize that there are possibly several different types of arrangements that could be made to do this business, but can anyone give me an idea of how you know of it being done?

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

The last time our club checked...the deal was a 50/50 split on the lead.

The outfit would clean and process 1/2 the lead for the club to sell/use for reloading...or would pay the club for 1/2 the lead recovered.

From what you describe, there are about 50 drums of lead there. At over $2000 per drum, that ia a nice sum of money!

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I just heard about reclaimed for 3K a barrel. OOF.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.