1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Questions about PayPal ???

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by pullbangloss, Oct 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pullbangloss

pullbangloss Active Member

Just looking for some info on PayPal and figured someone on here has used it before. I would like to use it as a seller on eBay and other internet transactions. Big question is how does the seller get their money? How bad are the fees? And I suppose is there anything else I should know before signing up.

Thanks in advance,
    Matt Krizinski

2. Kim Little

Kim Little Member

I like paypal. I find it easy to use. They wire the money to a designated checking account. It generally takes 3 to 5 business days for the wire transfer.

3. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I've used it as a buyer... no trubs for me.

Guy B.

4. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

I have used it for several years. It works fine for me, and I find people will buy things they probably wouldn't buy if they had to write a check or put out the cash for a money order. I believe the fees are about 2.9%, but get onto to Paypal.com and you can find out for yourself. They are at least partially owned by eBay, so therfore politically correct, and if they catch you trying to use Paypal for gun parts, gun clips, guns, and such related items they will kick you butt off. The best way is to just call anything you sell or pay for on them as "goods" if you are sending the invoice for payment. But again, don't take anything you are told from this site as the last word, check it out for yourself.

5. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

100% owned by E-bay. Kick your butt off wouldn't be so bad but thet freeze your account. Pay_pal is not a bank and does not operate under the same laws as a bank. I use it but I am very careful how and why I use it. They have trolls collecting e-mails on all the major gun sites. They cross reference the firearms for sale/prices and then look for the activity. if you are going to use it for guns and other non approved by them items don't dispaly that information in your ad or it will be just a matter of time before your account ( assets and all!) will be frozen. I know two people it has happened to. One guy told a person he would accept a discreet Pay-Pal payment. The buyer marked that he was buying a firearm and that was the end of his account and he is still fighting to get his money. As a buyer it is the best thing since sliced bread but be very careful as a seller. E-bay now requires you offer Pay-pal as a payment option so it really is a moot point how well anybody likes it or doesn't like it. If you sell on E-Bay you no longer have a choice.

Ypu might check that as I was told this buy another persons about E-Bays new policy's. Jeff

6. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

Be aware that pay pal is buyer orientated. All a buyer has to do is call an item not as described or non-functional and pay pal will give them back their (your) money. There is no discussion on the matter. What they decide is final - it's in the user agreement. You need to wait 30 days to file a claim, but your window to file a claim is get this - 30 days. Ebay is pay pal only now - combine ebay listing fees, final value fees, and pay pal fees, you're looking at 8 or 9% in the end if you're selling stuff in the $20-$50 range.

They took something simple and made a mess out of it. Go to paypalsucks.com and see some horror stories. I canceled my account a while back.

7. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I use paypal only to buy simple things. I will never accept payment via paypal. They are very anti-gun and I only use it as a last resort.

If I buy an item that's on ebay and it comes from a dealer, I generally contact them directly and pay for it with my debit card. This way I can cut paypal out of the transaction.

ss

8. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

As others have stated PayPal is owned by ebay and very antigun. That being said it is a convenient way to pay and sell through this operation. Just stay away from guns or gun parts. If you can by-pass them it is more desirable; due to their stance on guns. However, I am not sure if their policy on guns and gun related items isn't to cover their a$$ from law suits. I have used them numerous times with no problems. Ed

9. Janet

Janet TS Member

I've used them without any problem. However I do immediately transfer buyer's payment into my bank account and wait until it is recorded there before sending merchandise,

10. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

I've used it on my website to take payments for about a year now. Plus I used it for about 7 or 8 months before that for buying things off of Ebay, which I try to avoid as much as possible. I have yet to have any problems with Paypal. Josh

11. GARMASTERS

GARMASTERS TS Member

I tried to sell a guy a rifle using PayPal. We did the whole thing as not a sale but merely using PayPal as a transfer agent of cash from one person to another. No mention of a firearm yet they froze his account and said it was a "suspicious transaction" and a very large amount of money ($750). Furthermore they wanted my personal info (bank acct. #) for any transfer over $500 and said it could take 3 weeks or more. Last I knew the buyer was still fighting to get his money back and the deal fell through. I've used it for small stuff (non gun) on FeeBay and it worked OK but no more.

12. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I've used it as both buyer and seller on eBay + used it here for incidentals. For interstate commerce, it make the process easy and I've had a only a couple of incidents as a buyer in which I was happy to have Paypal in my corner.

Yes, there are fees for its use, but the convenience of accepting someones credit cards allows for larger transactions I think makes up for the difference.

Build the fees into the negotiated purchase price to cover your costs...

regards,

Jay

13. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

I have hundreds of paypal transactions and 100% have been perfect. I won't stand in line to buy a money order or cashiers' check for virtually anything I buy. Too much trouble and not worth the effort.

14. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I have some Clown RIGHT NOW wanting to Paypal me $50 more than my asking price for one of my outboard motors. I emailed back "no, cash only". Not sure what to do here.

15. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

I bought an old Ronson electric shaver that was listed " As New, In Mint Condition". At bottom it also said no returns. When I received it, it would not stay running as the cord was bad. Had a bent screen and part was missing. had green corrosion on head inside and out and even on the plastic shaver seam. It was a used up piece of junk. I Emailed seller and informed that it was not usable and not as listed and wanted to return it and receive my money back. They refused and stated that listing said "No Returns". I told them that if it was as listed I would not want to return it. After several attempts I turned to Pay Pal and filed a complaint. Their response was "Item listed did not qualify"???. Tried to refile again using the same case number but it would not let me. The sellers account had been closed the next time I checked on it. No buyer protection for me what so ever.

I have used Pay Pal for years and over a hundred transactions and this was my first time to file a complaint and it did not work. I still use Pay Pal. Ray

16. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

I have used Paypal for several hundred transactions, and have been very satisfied so far. You can list your credit card to fund the Paypal transactions and therefore have some protection both in the fact that you aren't giving your credit card number to someone you don't know anything about, and if the purchase turns out to be a problem you can file a dispute with your credit card company. Honesty is the key to not having problems when selling an item and using Paypal to receive payment. Make sure the transaction details doesn't include ANYTHING related to guns or ammo or you will have a problem

17. Guard Rail

Guard Rail TS Member

I have used them as a buyer 100's of times no problems. I think they went against guns because that nut at Virgina Tech bought his clips on E-Bay

18. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Tron,

It's a scam. If the buyer is legit just ask him/her to mail you a USPS money order.

On the other hand, just hold the merchandise until the funds are in your bank account. If it's a scam then paypal gets to hunt the scammers down.

ss

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.