1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Questions about Ohio State Shoot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by OhioGal, Jun 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OhioGal

OhioGal Member

Being new to ATA can somebody tell me who of the big names are going to be at this shoot, and what day would be the best to see some of the top shooters shoot? I had planned on Saturday, but now looks like Friday or Saturday am I missing out???

2. eperry

eperry Member

Does anyone know what is the internet access at the campgrounds?

3. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Check your private messages girl! Tom Rhoads

4. OhioGal

OhioGal Member

Hey I will settle for 16's...laughing if I saw how easy they make doubles, I would just want to try that!!...more targets to miss!!!... Thanks Tom for the Info! Deb

5. Brad Dysinger

Brad Dysinger Member

We expect a good number of new out of state shooters this year at the Ohio State Shoot next week. When you get to the shoot if you have any questions ask any OSTA director or look me up, I'm just about always around the entry building. As tournament director for the last two years I've had the same questions asked ovr and over so I'll try to answer some of them here.

We shoot a four trap, 25 to a trap bank system. The banks run from east to west 1 thru 12. Banks 1 thru 4 are east of the entry building, then the next four traps west of the entry building are the practice traps. Then banks 5 thru 12 after the practice traps. Banks 10,11,12 are new for this year. These new banks are the only banks that I have not personally shot on yet. Many shooters think the east banks are best, but over the last two Ohio State shoots I've seen more punches come from the west end. In 16 yards it won't matter as we flip the numbers during the 200 bird events so you'll shoot on 8 traps. Bank 1 becomes 12, 2 becomes 11 and so on. I like to shoot banks 6 and west as they have a tree backgroud that resembles eastern US clubs of PA, Maryland and such. The east 4 banks have more sky but I shoot better on the west end. I think the new three banks may be the best but I haven't shot them yet.

The shoot will start each morning at 8:00 am. The national anthem will be played at 7:45. We start on time so if your on a early squad you should pay your entry the day before. The building is open till 5:00 pm each day except Sunday when we close entrys a 2:00 pm.

You need your ATA plastic card to sign up, to hold squad posts. If you have a friend you want to save a spot for you'll need his plastic card to do it.

When we go from one event to the other I'll wait for the A and B traps to clear before we start the next event so don't sign up late and early you'll miss your squad.

On Friday nite we have our hog roast, for 3 bucks you get a good meal at the pool house by the pond. You'll need to buy a ticket at the Ohio tent. Last year we had 1250 eaters at the hog roast, it's kind of an Ohio Trapshooters reunion event, and we welcome non resident shooters to come.

Hope to see you next week. Brad Dysinger OSTA Tournament Director

6. Dr. Honk

Dr. Honk Member

Brad,

Thanks for the great overview. The Ohio State Shoot will be this NY shooter's first time at the Cardinal Center.

Our NY squad arrives on Tuesday evening and we will be shooting through Sunday.

Hoping for sunny skies and big orange targets..

Dr. Honk

7. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

OhioGal- There is wireless access on the grounds. You should have no problem getting on the 'net. May have problems if you are camping in a brand new area as I did last year. Good access along the food/vendor area. Hope you have a great state shoot.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

8. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

the wireless does not work well in many areas. it does wotk in the poo building and in the CEB and the eating terrace, Other areas are spotty. you need to stop at the camping office for the password which is free.

9. Tim

Tim TS Member

OhioGal,
    If you are looking for "big named" shooters to watch, here is some valuable information. The Middletown Sportsmen's Club has the only 19.5 yard All- American in the history of the A.T.A. He is a very humble man and does not mind having rather large crowds follow him around as he grinds targets into dust. This legendary shooter is names ROGER LAWSON!

10. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

motordoctor- I'm not sure about the "poo" bldg I've not carried the laptop in there before (sorry, couldn't resist) but the food shelterhouse wasn't a problem during last year's state shoot. Couldn't get it at my campsite although it was just brand new. Not too far from the oil well. I guess we'll both figure it out this year as I hope to get threr Friday and/or Sat. Best regards.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

11. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I don't think Shootlow or the Literalist will be at the Ohio State Shoot. To many other previous commitments, I'm sure. lol

Hauxfan!

12. Browning Man

Browning Man TS Member

This will be my frist trip to the Cardinal Center and I am looking forward to it. But I do have a question, what time does the practice traps close?

13. Browning Man

Browning Man TS Member

Also, how many class will there be, will it go to AA or AAA.

14. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

Watch out for Tom Hilderbrand in the singles again this year. Last year he didn't miss a target in singles until Saturday, 400 for 400 on T, W, TR. He is due for a good run. I can't wait until Tuesday. I just joined ATA and have shot 2 events. I assume that I will shoot 23 yard targets if I choose to play the money in hcp.
    Doug Allison

15. Tim

Tim TS Member

Zardozforty,
    I have often asked the same question but ,apparently, Mr. Lawson is "grandfathered" in! I would encourage you and any shooter on the grounds this next week to appraoch Roger Lawson and inquire about his shooting exploits! The man is not only a myth but also a legend!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

A Myth and a Legend... now that's an interesting statement.....

Something like a legendary myth???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.