1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Questions about buying a gun online

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by kimv, Apr 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kimv

kimv TS Member

I have a question. I found a gun I would like to buy but how do we go about shipping and paying for a gun long distance? It has to be shipped to a FFL dealer correct? What is the best way to pay for the gun? Is there usually time for the purchaser to look over the gun before the deal is finalized? For the safety of all involved what is the best practice? This gun is from a private party.

2. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

find a FFL dealer(most any gun store) in your area willing to accept shipment and do the transfer...as for payment..if this party is a stranger to you, pay by Postal Money Order for your protection..if you get shafted, its mail fraud and the govt will sick the hounds on them..protects the other party too..they know they are not getting a rubber check. Have your FFL dealer fax/mail a copy of their FFL to the seller for their records, and have seller ship gun to that dealer.

3. kimv

kimv TS Member

Thank you so much. I just wasn't sure how the money was supposed to change hands. I understand the seller not wanting to ship before they have the money but it is hard to send that much money to someone I don't know hoping to get a gun. The Postal Money Order sounds like the way to go. Is it common practice to be able to inspect the gun at the FFL before accepting the transaction?

4. 3200

3200 TS Member

Most that sell firearms on-line offer a limited inspection period - typically 3 to 5 days. Be sure to check with the seller BEFORE sending any money and have the inspection period clearly defined. Also ask if during the inspection the gun may fired and/or disassembled by a competent gunsmith. It's best to have these policies on paper so there is no misunderstanding.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.