1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

questions about AL-391

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Fisher, Jan 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fisher

Fisher Member

Happy New Year all. Does anyone know of a very good gunsmith in western Oregon/Washington that works on Beretta semi-autos? If no one on the west coast, who would you recommend anywhere in the country. Would appreciate any personal recommendations. Thanks. J. Webb.

2. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

Good evening Fisher, There is a gentleman by the name of Tron who posts here. I have heard that he is pretty handy with the Beretta autoloaders. If he doesn't post on your thread here shortly, I will find his website and contact info for you. I hope the new year is starting out good for you and your family. best wishes, Rodbuster.

3. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

Here is Tron's websight John (before I forget); http://tronspace.com/default.aspx

Good luck, Rodbuster.

4. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

There is a big group of guys here that shoot 391s and maybe able to help you fix your gun short of a trigger job. If you post why you think you need a gunsmith, they might be able to help you. jm

5. Fisher

Fisher Member

Thank's all for replying. Yesterday went up to the club for an adhoc practice with a few friends. My wife's gun is a beretta teknys gold trap approximately 14 months old. It probably has 10,000 rounds through it. It gets cleaned fairly regularly, especially if it's snowing or raining like it has been doing a lot lately. She shot 7 boxes of shells through it yesterday including 2 rounds of singles, 1 round of handicap, 2 rounds of doubles and 1 round of fun and games. Everything went well until the final box of shells on the fun and games. She could load the gun, and pull the trigger. We could hear, what we thought was the firing pin clicking, but there would be no dent in the primer. She could then load the shell again and it would fire. It did this 4 or 5 times in the last 25 shells. The shells were reloads, but did not appear to have anything wrong with them- primer seated to deep, etc. This gun did this once before on the weekend before thanksgiving, when She shot quite a few shells through the gun on both days of the weekend, without a cleaning. After a thorough cleaning, problem went away. I tore the gun down this morning to clean, it had been snowing a little yesterday so there was a little powder residue mixed with water in the action, but not anything very drastic. Trigger group, and bolt assembly looked pretty clean to me. She will shoot the gun tomorrow, will see if it repeats problem. Maybe gun doesn't like girls. We shoot other berettas, and wanted to know if anyone knew of a good gunsmith out here on the west coast, so if we ever had an issue like this, or just wanted some general maintenace, it might not take 3 months. I would like to know if anyone has used Bolsa gunsmithing? Were they any good? Lastly, does anyone know if the earlier trigger groups, (steel) will fit in a 391? It seems like this would be a good upgrade,as the plastic framed trigger groups they make now seem kind of wimpy. Any help will be appreciated. P.S. will send owner of site a donation Moday, as censored or not this site has been educational, and entertaining. Cheers J. Webb.

6. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

O.K. I'll jump in. Two possiblities: Very week hammer spring will do this, especially with certain ammo. More likely, the bolt isn't closing all the way, Usually caused by the piston sticking on the shaft. All you should need to do is clean and oil the shaft, and it should be fine. One other thought: broken firing pin spring (very common)-check that.

I've used Bolsa Gunsmithing, but it was 10 years ago. They were o,k., but you almost never need a gunsmith for a 391. You should be able to learn to fix just about anything yourself. Go to www.shotgunworld.com, the forum called:" I love my Beretta," and you will find a manual for sale that is excellent, and will tell you about everything you need to know.

There's nothing wrong with the 391 trigger. The metal 303/390 triggers do seem to be a little sturdier, and have the advantage of using the old style "bent" carrier which is better than the newer straight type. I have used them in my 391. However because it is metal and possibly a fraction wider, it is sometimes very difficult or impossible to get it into a newer 391.

7. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

Good afternoon Fisher, here is a link to a post by Tron about cleaning a 391; http://www.trapshooters.com/noframes/cfpages/sthread.cfm?threadid=152681&Messages=40

I don't know if this will help or not. Rodbuster.

8. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

My 391 Urika Sport with my newly acquired parallel trap barrel was doing the same thing. Turns out the valve had (probably) never been properly cleaned.

Take it apart per the Tron thread above. Make sure to get everything out of the valve, including the valve shaft. (This is the part the valve nut and counter nut thread onto.) Take a small flat screwdriver or small chisel and tap inside the valve with a hammer. If powder residue starts to break loose, that's the problem.

Try this before you start paying a smithy to clean the valve.

Danny

9. Fisher

Fisher Member

Thank you all for advice. Shot gun today after a thorough cleaning, no problems. Had a possible cause to the problem. Loaded some once-fired STS cases the other day. Just noticed that some of them needed to have more taper on final crimp as they had a very slight bulge on the side of the shell at the crimp, may have put enough friction on bolt as it was closing to prevent the bolt locking to barrel/firing. Still would like to know if anyone has recommendations for good Beretta smith in the west. Good shooting J. Webb.

10. WGB

WGB Member

Bolsa is the Beretta authorized gunsmith on the west side.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.