1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Questions about 525 sporting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Gary Beer, Mar 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary Beer

Gary Beer Member

I just recently bought a Browning 525 sporting grade I, from a person here on TS.com. The gun is just as described and in excellent shape, with a fair price.

Here are my questions: the engraving on the one I bought is different from any other 525 that my friends have. Theirs has engraving on the safety, opening lever and all over the receiver. The one I bought has less engraving but does have 525 engraved on the bottom of the receiver.

Of the three we have in our group all 3 are grade I sporting models with 30" barrels. Theirs came with the 5 midas chokes and the one I bought came with 3 regular inv plus chokes.

Side by side they all look exactly the same in dimesions. It appears that mine is the newest one built (2006) per the serial number. I was thinking maybe browning started cutting back on the engraving and tubes for some reason?

The gun came in the original box, the serial numbers all match. The label on the box states grade I sporting model. 30" invp. with f/im/m chokes. At first I thought I had been sold a field grade but I am not sure why there is a difference.

Happy with the gun just trying to figure out the differences or changes? I have searched the browning sight and couldn't find any answers there. I'm turning to TS.com experience.

Thanks GBEER

2. Jerseyshooter

Jerseyshooter TS Member

You might want to look on their site and see if you got a European model rather than a US model. I have heard in some cases there are cosmetic differences between the two with the Euro guns being a bit more conservative (less engraving). By the way, I shoot a 525 sporting 30 and it is a very, very good gun. You will enjoy yours! RICH

3. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

I have (4) 525 Sporting in grade three, one in each gauge execpt 16ga. I like them that much.
    I think you will find that the grade three had more engraving and came with 5 Midas chokes. The grade one had less engraving and came with three Midas chokes. Engraving varied on all others depending on what Browning called the shotgun. Field grades came in several variations also.

Bob

4. valley1

valley1 TS Member

Hi Gary the one you have is a Grade one 525 sporting ,comes with three chokes.Your friends have a Grade 3 525 sporting,receiver is covered in scroll,5 Midas chokes and little better grade of wood.Look up 525 sporting on Gun Broker and you can see the difference.

5. emm2

emm2 Member

I had a grade 1 525 sporting and it came with 3 flush chokes not extended midas chokes.

6. Gary Beer

Gary Beer Member

Ok well that explains our ignorance. We thought that there was only different grades of wood and that the golden clays was the next higher model. I knew you guys would have the answers. Thanks

7. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Gary, the Grade I is also worth about $400 less than the Grade III's as well. You should have a Satin finish instead of the oil finish (stock). You still have the triple trigger system but only 3 chokes, M,IM,F. Yours also has the field engraving style and 3 inch. chambers in your barrels. Grade III's have 2 3/4 inch chambers. The stocks have the identical drops as well. Grade I's are only made in the 12 ga. and the grade III's are made in all 4 gauges. I have never heard of the 525's being made in a 16 ga. But they did have a small run of 3 barrel and 4 barrel sets for skeet and or Sporting Clays. These are great guns and I love mine, and I am sure you will too. You can buy the newer Diania grade Ext. chokes as well now if you like. I loved 525 the first time I borrowed my friends he was ranting about. I went out and shot some 5 stand with it, and it just fit me to a T. After Borrowing his gun the next 2-3 weekends in a row, I had to have one so I went out and bought one. Enjoy yours and Good Luck. Break-em all. Jeff

8. Gary Beer

Gary Beer Member

Jeff thanks for the additional information. I was in the same boat and shot a friends for some sporting and skeet and shot it well. I was thinking that if I couldn't shoot this one well, I would trade with my buddies since he can't shoot it well. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH But they don't look look the same so I'm stuck.

I have the complete set of Briley's titanium chokes for my trap gun, so I'm set there. Thanks

GBEER

9. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Gary, Don't worry if it takes awhile to get used to it. Most shooters will tell you it takes around 2,000-5,000 shots to get used to a gun. To be honest with you, I have shot more than 5 and I still am getting better with it, so the learning never stops as does the fun and the stories. So go out and have some fun. Break-em all. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.