1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Wingmaster 870 20ga on 12ga receiver

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by len loma, Dec 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. len loma

len loma TS Member

Picked up a Wingmaster 20 ga in about 94% condition at Gander Mountain for $229 bucks. It had 28" vent rib barrel and mod. choke. I thought it was a 12 ga at first but realized it was a 20. It pointed and swung nice like a 12. Is this something that Remington produced and dropped because of issues and reason it was so cheap at Gander? Is a slug barrel available for these guns? Thank you, Len

2. klightfoot

klightfoot TS Member

It's called a Standard Weight 20 ga. They also made the 1100 that way. I have one that $400 won't buy

3. rondl

rondl Member

I have one purchased new about 1976 with a skeet fixed choke. About 96% and $400 won't buy it either. I think you would have to find a used barrel for it.

4. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

A slug barrel will cost you more than what you paid for the complete gun.

5. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

To answer the poster's original question, back in the early 1950s when the 870s first came out, the 20s were built on the existing 12 ga. frames....I have one I got for Christmas in 1954 and still use it. Later, to trim the 20s down, Remington discontinued the "standard" 20s and began making the current 20 models with 20ga. frames and barrels to fit. This happened in the 1960s? The older standard 20s are excellent, but a little heavier than the lightweight 20s. Regards, Ed

6. mx331

mx331 TS Member

Skeet man is right. I have one of these wingmasters as well. I believe if the serial number ends in an X or Y its one of the 20's on a 12 frame and barrels are hard to find which also equals expensive.

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

These folks will have a barrel if anyone does.

8. mx331

mx331 TS Member

Hey more clay, I just checked safe and I have a 20" slug barrel with rifle sights for that gun if you're interested let me know. Also have 26" non-ribbed barrel marked full. I can send u pics if you want.

9. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I bought a used 1100 that has a 12 receiver and 20 barrel, I didn't notice it when I was buying it the salesman at the gun shop pointed it out to me and told me that it could be impossible to find a 20 ga barrel that would fit it he said it was one of the early 20's and they changed them after that, because the original owner had shortened the barrel to make it his dove gun, so the full choke was now cyl bore

Don't know if what he was telling me was a fact, but it works good for me as I use it for dove

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.