1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question- why use a single barrel gun?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Aussie Dan, Jan 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

Hi guys,

Forgive me if these seem like stupid questions, but I'm still learning a few things about ATA trap-

I realize that your 16 yard singles and handicap are all shot with one shot, but why would someone buy a single barrel gun? You need 2 to shoot doubles anyway?

I have noticed the singles are longer in length, 34 inch etc, but most are weighted to balance the same as a double barrel anyway?

I guess there is some people that woud never shoot doubles, but that rules you out of high overall prizes right?

If you were a new shooter why wouldn't you just spend your money on a 32 inch o/u and shoot everything with it? Saves buying an expensive combo or 2 guns?

2. bob easton

bob easton TS Member

All I care about is singles trap. Absolutely ZERO plans for doubles or for skeet. A really good SBT gun is all I want, is lighter, and is simpler than the O/Us. Should the day come that doubles or sk**t becomes interesting, I'll buy another gun.

... and those AUTOs that a lot of people use for doubles and the other sports are also SINGLE barrel guns. :)

3. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Most who get to the longer all use a single barrell. Many including Leo Harrison, one of the best shooters and ambassodors of the sport, uses his O/U in singles. This is also another reason that many use an automatic as they can shoot all the games with a lower upfront cost....

If you are just starting out,,,,look at a brand that you may be able to add a single to later on if you wish,,,,or just do like MOST and get one now and a different one when your scores improve,,,;)

good luck in your search

4. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

So there is no real technical advantage then?

5. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Dan, Hard to argue with your logic. I'm sure many people do what you suggest and they could be better off in the long run. A longer barrel may ,theoretically, aid in better accuracy.

6. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

I have watched a few Leo Harrison videos, he shot most of his big wins with a Remington 1100 auto, right?

Also, is it just me or does bug Leo seem to 'cant' or lean his gun over a little? I noticed the bottom barrel is laying outside the line of the top barrel a little? Is that right or maybe just me?

Check out the video in the link at the 3.45 minute mark

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    <i>"Most who get to the longer all use a single barrell. Many including Leo Harrison, one of the best shooters and ambassodors of the sport, uses his O/U in singles. This is also another reason that many use an automatic as they can shoot all the games with a lower upfront cost...."</i>

A major reason for an auto is recoil reduction.

A pump will give you even lower upfront costs than an auto, but not the recoil reduction.

8. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Yes, I think Leo appears to cant his gun a little.

9. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

No one seems to have addressed the original question directly, so will try to do so. The longer length of the single barrel (most often 34-35 inches) provides a longer sighting plane, as well as being somewhat smoother to swing for many shooters. To get this length in an over/over barrel would increase the muzzle weight beyond what many shooters like or can use effectively. In doubles, on the other hand, you need the ability to move quickly to the second target, and the shorter (generally 30-32 inches) length of the o/u barrels allows for this. This is the reason so many use a combo set, which provides the single barrel for singles targets and the o/u barrels for doubles, but uses the same stock so there is no change in stock fit, feel, trigger, etc. There are, of course, exceptions and some find a double gun better,even for singles, or prefer the single barrel for doubles, so use a semi-auto.

10. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Dan, I think you have an excellent point! The advantages of the slightly longer single barrel guns has yet to be proven. Never under-estimate the effect of public opinion! (What is "cool"!) In my humble opinion, a talented and dedicated shooter would score just as well with an over/under in 30" or 32" as any of the combinations you mentioned in your post! Jack

11. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Shoot 100 targets on a day with a brisk cross wind. If you're shooting a O/U you'll wish you could turn it sideways just to hold it steady!

Keller

12. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

The SBT's point better, always have, always will.

13. k3uro

k3uro Member

Hi,

Even some Skeet shooters shooters use 32" guns, with added ribs to run over the entended choke tubs.

I prefer the BT-99. O/U can cause lost targets, put shell in wrong barrel, push barrel selector to wrong barrel etc.

I know becuase I did them.

Jim

14. R_Shrode

R_Shrode TS Member

Same old, same old ................ I've yet to find a use for a single barrel. Longer sighting plane? I'm sure that's sold a few guns. And if the wind is blowing hard enough to blow the gun around what's it doing to guy shooting it? Besides, O/U's point better, always have, always will.

15. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

The 34" single barrel break action shotguns are very close in overall length and balance to the 30" pumps and autoloaders that used to be favored. IMHO Ron

16. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

Don't believe me. Believe the record books. You will look long and hard to find any All Americans (past & present) that shoot anything other than a SBT for 16's and handicaps. BTW a model 12 is a SBT. They point better, always have, always will.

17. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

How hard is it to find Leo?

It's just personal preference following the Jones, nothing mystical about a single barrel break open shotgun.

18. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Combos are expensive. If a combo needs service, the whole lockwork goes back to the mfg. or the 'smith. Singles and handicap are specialized 'games' as is 'doubles'...so why not use two different guns if that is affordable and often the cost of a sbt and o/u are the same as a combo.

19. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

Mr. Gault,

I consider all combos, when shot with a single barrel, to be SBTs. When Leo shoots for money ('caps) he uses his SBT.

20. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

I really wish I knew the answer Aussie Dan. A well fitted O/U and practice should be all you need. However, an O/U with fixed chokes that are tuned for ATA doubles are not exactly what you might choose for long yardage handicap. Similarly, many folks like to shoot doubles with a relatively flat shooting gun and that may conflict with the way some like to set up to shoot singles and handicap.

I have been told about a solid, all around, long yardage shooter who uses an MX-8 O/U for everthing (he made AA this year), I don't know if this is true or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

why does a trap gun habe two barrels