1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question? When does the new target year start

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Trapshooter, Aug 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

When does the 2008 target year start? Someone told me it starts September 1st. If that is true. It kills about 2 weeks for registered shooting. Right? Todd

2. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

yes Sept 1, 2007 is correct

3. primed

primed Well-Known Member

Any shoots that end on or after September 1, 2007 are in the 2008 target year. For instance, Stockdales Labor Day weekend shoot starts on August 30 but ends on Sept 3. All targets from this shoot are 2008 targets.

Bob

4. Cherokee Kid

Cherokee Kid TS Member

Does anyone know why the shooting years start September 1st?

5. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Cause that is when the ATA says it starts.

6. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Most likely the 1st of the month following the Grand. JMHO

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

7. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

This thread is a hoot, thanks for all the chuckles, LOL.

8. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

OK, Why is the Grand in August? I bet early October in Sparta could be quite pleasant.

9. primed

primed Well-Known Member

Devil' advoc

"What difference does it make if the targets in your example are in 2008?" The difference is that you need to record your targets and figure your average based on the actual Target year. I think they do that for some kind of uniformity. If you want to figure your average based on a July 15 to the following July 14, you would be a little out of sinc with the rest of the shooters. The point was that the target year is determined by the ENDING date of a shoot and not the beginning date.

"Why wouldn't that the same situation happen no matter when the year ended?" The situation WOULD be the same unless the rules that set the target year were changed at the same time as the ending date rule. I wasn't dealing with hypotheticals, I was dealing with the facts as they exist today.

I personally don't care when the target year starts. October, November or whatever. The question was "When does the 2008 target year start?" I was trying to convey the idea that you can shoot some targets prior to September 1, 2007 that would also fall in the 2008 target year.

FWIW

Bob

10. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

How do we get so much animosity on a thread that ask a simple question that the originator only had to look in the ATA rule book to answer?

Can only be a troll out trolling, LOL!

11. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

September 1, 2007 for the 2008 year.

Maybe, depending on a vote tomorrow night but looking likely, November 1, 2008 for the 2009 target year.

Neil

12. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Neil,

Just curious...why the change?

Tim

13. Jim Brown (the puller)

Jim Brown (the puller) TS Member

I always thought that the 1 October target year starting date was so that the clubs holding National Trapshooting Day events the first weekend of October would collect the annual dues, saving the ATA all that postage.

What effect would changing the starting date of the new target year have? Well, for one thing, all those tournaments that base target requirements for the current year on a starting date of 1 September might have to re-evaluate the fairness of those current numbers. Changing from 1 September to 1 November would remove two months of (fairly) decent shooting weather from the beginning of the target year.

Here, in Pennsylvania, we would lose the opportunity to count the Westy Hogans targets in the current year for the Elysburg events stazring the next spring. It's already aggravating to this shooter that they do not count current plus the previous TWO years accumulation of targets for the Keystone Open in May. They only count current plus previous ONE year.

Of course, holding off until 1 November would take some pressure off of the office in Vandalia, BUT would make the everage book publication that much later. Right now it takes more than four months from end of target year to distribution of average books. Would that mean we would expect to receive them in March?

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

The change in target year would help the clerical staff and place a burden on shooters attempting to get the minimum targets required to avoid penalty. I am sure the ATA will answer by suggesting that the minimum target requirements be reduced. But, if a club believes the minimum required targets necessary to avoid a penalty can be reduced without classification problems, they should be reduced regardless of when the target year begins.

Pat Ireland

15. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

What I meant was any targets after the grand till August 31st don't count towards the next years minimums. So there is no reason to shoot registered until Sept 1st.
    Neil, If it gets changed to Nov 1st. That's 2 months that don't count towards the minimum targets needed for state shoots and the grand. Most people I know don't shoot registered until the new target year starts. I think weather needs to be considered too as some shooters live in the north.
    Todd

16. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

.... Should the fiscal year for the ATA be moved to start November 1 and end on October 31, the date of the Grand should also be moved to coincide with that fiscal year, same as the one it does now. If this happens, as it should if the dates of the year is changed, what is the problem with the time frame to acquire the number of targets prior to the Grand, there will be 12 months in that year just as there is now but should those responsible for changing the dates of the fiscal year are to stupid to move the date of the Grand to concede as it does now with the end of each fiscal year, then and only then do I perceive there to be a problem.

If date of the fiscal year for the ATA is changed there will be another little problem and that is with acquiring the required number of targets for the State Shoots, when you shorten the year by two months, as someone is proposing. Maybe they need to consider the down stream effects prior to making a change.

Just my 2 cents.

17. rwm12

rwm12 Member

I registered my first targets in 1969, then the new year started January 1st. In 1975 ATA moved start date to October 1st and then September lst in 1999 if my memory is correct. This year August has been very HOT to date but Sparta is still a good place to shoot.

18. ramen39

ramen39 Member

I agree with Big Papa. As soon as the grand is over. Start on A new year. Roy

19. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

"I always thought that the 1 October target year starting date was so that the clubs holding National Trapshooting Day events the first weekend of October would collect the annual dues, saving the ATA all that postage." Jim if this was the case why would we not require the same from the clubs that hold the first shoot when the year starts Sept. 1,

primed you said "The point was that the target year is determined by the ENDING date of a shoot and not the beginning date." the reason that it is determined by the ending date of a shoot is so if the first date of the target year falls in the middle of a multi-day shoot you don't split the targets between to different years.

lkn4rocks you asked "How do we get so much animosity on a thread that ask a simple question that the originator only had to look in the ATA rule book to answer?" You have only to read the next quote and your question will be answered

"If this happens, as it should if the dates of the year is changed, what is the problem with the time frame to acquire the number of targets prior to the Grand, there will be 12 months in that year just as there is now but should those responsible for changing the dates of the fiscal year are to stupid to move the date of the Grand to concede as it does now with the end of each fiscal year, then and only then do I perceive there to be a problem." sound familiar comments like these are what causes animosity.

BTW your concern for the shooter making their target requirements is commendable but if you had read Mr. Ireland's post you would have noticed this statement " I am sure the ATA will answer by suggesting that the minimum target requirements be reduced." also it will only be for 1 year (unless the ATA changes it back for 2010) lol.

Bob Lawless

20. bonkers

bonkers TS Member

Boy oh boy what a discussion ! I certainly hope that the ATA does lower the target requirements for next years Grand. Changing the Target Year won't accomplish much, the Grand is in August and the Target Year starts in Sept, duh . In Oklahoma we didn't get a chance to shoot all that many targets this year, weather, and at the Grand I got posted two classes up for not having but 600 for the year. I haven't shot AA class in 8 years, and for the past 3 years haven't shot but 1k targets. So in essence I was just a lead thrower at the Grand, if that continues, don't look for me to return. Weather has been a factor for a lot of the shooters this year and they should have taken that into consideration, not just slapping a two class penilty on us. I have a life outside of the ATA but love to shoot, but not in AA class. As for Options - I quit paying the top shooters years ago, I shoot for whats on the table and enjoy myself. RSF

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.