1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question, Trap Gun upgrade

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by swatman201, Dec 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swatman201

swatman201 Member

Hello,
    I am a fairly new Trap shooter, and progressed from an old Browning superposed, to a Browning BT99, to my current Browning XT Trap. I would like to upgrade, and was thinking of either a TM1 or a KS5. Would I be upgrading, or just waisting my money? I plan on shooting much more since I recently retired, and would like something good. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Joe Isnardi

2. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

TM1 plus 1.

3. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Ks 5. Get the special if possible. Bulge.

4. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

IMHO...shoot your XT and spend the trade money on shells and entries! The extra practice/shooting will do you more good tha an upgrade. Just my two cents. Martinpicker

5. dhip

dhip Active Member

I guess if your scores are going up with the upgrdes it's worth it.I've seen guys go from Lutics,to Seitz,to Kolars.Last two changes didn't improve scores.Depends if your changing just for change ,the word upgrade can be very misleading.I'm sure there are some who can recall top shooters using Remingtons and the like.Just like Bass fishing.The 39 dollar rod can catch the same bass as the 239 dollar rod.Just what ever floats your boat.

OH,I'm still stuck on a BT99 myself.LMAO

Doug H.

6. shoottilithurts

shoottilithurts Member

joe, if the upgrade fits better, or has a better trigger, it will proably help...milt luther

7. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

The best value in a dedicated trap gun is the Perazzi MX15

8. ljuticsscentennialpro

ljuticsscentennialpro Member

Milt's reference of gun fit is right on the money. I'd suggest getting a consultation with an expert gun fitter so that you know what your needs are relative to gun fit. Then you can decide whether your current gun fits you or if it can be modified to fit you. This will help you assess future potential guns that catch your eye. I've owned too many guns that did not fit well. Consider the gun that has the right parameters for you relative to cast, drop, pitch, length of pull, grip angle, balance, feel and point of impact for you. Bob

9. ABH

ABH Member

If your present gun can be altered to fit you properly,and puts a good pattern where it should,stick with that gun. An expensive upgrade will not improve your scores. Take some shooting lessons and more practice. Remember. It's the indian that kills,not the arrow.

ART H.

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Shoot it before you buy it. Then you will know if it is an "upgrade" or not. HMB

11. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

i am a believer in the "feel" factor-- yes, resale value, where can it be worked on & price are factors---but it really comes down to -what makes you feel and shoot w/ confidance! balance - pointability and POI is high on my ratings of what to purchase----goodluck-- wally riebesell rock port, mo

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

What are you looking for in an upgrade? Reliability, fluff, beauty, bells and whistles? If up-grade means reliability buy a Ljutic. If you need the other items, there are lots of choices.

13. Doughboy

Doughboy Member

Will you need to sale your XT to purchase the "upgrade"? If you do your homework, you can find either of those guns you mentioned for what you can get out of your XT.

If it were me, I'd replace the KX-5 with a ljutic mono. JMO....

Season's greetings

Kurt

14. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Keep the XT for doubles buy a hi grade single they point and balance better than any other gun for Trap IMHO

15. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Ljutic Mono, TM-1 or TM-X.....

16. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

What ljuticsscentennialpro sez! Finding a new gun and spending money is easy. Doing the homework to get the improvement you seek takes some discipline. Take the measured approach. Also, if score is your motivator (not bling) study why your present gun misses a target. If you're going to sell it, you should know why. (I would sell that XT in a heartbeat. but thats me) May I also submit that a Beretta 682 top-single is about the same price and style as a BT99 but with a different feel. TM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.