1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question - Shot Speed Pattern Expansion

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by zzt, Jan 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Mikey, I have never seen any repeatable of significant differences in patterns between the two speeds you mentioned. Based on my experience, and good load going between 1135fps and 1235fps is going to pattern so close to the same, it is not worth worrying about. Slower than that they tend to be tighter. Faster than that they tend to open.

That being said, I think it does depend a little on your barrel/choke. My Superposed barrels with fixed chokes digested anything you fed them and gave consistent PEs. My Beretta barrels, on the other hand, were quite finicky about speed and components. My standard Perazzi barrels don't seem to care about speed (in the range I mentioned), but do prefer 1 1/8oz loads.

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

Most of my patterns have been with loads at +- 1145, 1200 and 1225. I have not seen any patterns open up a measurable amount at these velocities.

Pat Ireland

3. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Not exactly what you asked, but it's been said shot spreads about 1"/yard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.