1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Rex Powder

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mecman, Apr 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mecman

mecman TS Member

Anyone out there ever use rex powder? I'm considering switching to it, and on their web sight they only give load data. Hows the burn rate? is it flake or granual, clean or dirty ? all Info. is apreciated. Thanks in advance Gary more comments welcome

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Gary..... I have used many 25lb. boxes of REX over the years. It is a flake powder, similiar to 700X, Green Dot, Promo, etc. It has a pretty slow burn rate which I would compare to Green Dot. It is a little dirtier than Green Dot. I found it to be a really good powder to work with in fair weather. It does not seem to like the cold, however. At temperatures of 40-45 degrees or less I had many off sounding loads that indicated it was not burning properly as they seemed to be really soft loads and upon inspection of the barrel there was quite a bit of unburned powder in the barrel. I have since switched to Promo powder and I'm finding it to be a very good powder. I would have no problem going back to REX if I only shot in fair weather, but, unfortunately, here in the Pacific Northwest, you shoot in what you get......Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

Gary; There is Rex O, 1, 2, and 3. O being the fastest and 3 being the slowest. There are charts from Graf's showing loads and pressures. The Rex 1 can get pretty hot, pretty fast. The Rex 3, is bulky and it takes a bunch to get to to much. Always consult the charts and tested loads to be safe. Rex 2 is much like Green Dot. I don't think that I would consider the Rex O. Lots of pressure! ...merlyn...

4. 100straight

100straight Member

When I started using Rex I was told to compare Rex Powder as follows:

Rex 0 = Bullseye

Rex 1 = Red Dot

Rex 2 = Green Dot

Rex 3 = Unique or Herco

Not exact, but a rough idea.

Shoot well and often,

Mark.

5. mecman

mecman TS Member

6. bydnsilly3

bydnsilly3 Member

I like Trap2 have shot a great deal of Rex powder over the years. I still do as a matter of fact and will continue to do so. Dan is correct in that I have found that Rex 2 does not like cold weather, Rex 1 works ok however. Having said that I just checked and I currently have 12 different powders (about 200 lbs) in the shop. Some is for customers and some for me. I have loaded all of it at one time or another. No powder stays in the shop for more than a year. My point is that there is no perfect powder for everyone. Price, availability and your concerns are all issues that you must consider. Example, I shoot break action shotguns for the most part. I do not care if the powder is clean or dirty. I clean the gun when it needs it. Performance is the most important thing to me. Rex is a good powder, but there are a lot of good powders out there. You must decide what is best for you. Good luck

Bill Myers

7. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

I've been using Rex II since Graf and Sons began importing it. Probably in excess of 300 lbs. Using a Cheddite 209 or Win 209 primer, a Downrange Windjammer wad and a Remington hull, I have had no issues with cold weather as some of the other posters mentioned. I've used this load at temps. as low a 20 deg. Anything colder....I stay inside, LOL. I load 1 1/8 with 19 gr. for 16's and 1 1/8 with 21.5 gr. for 27's. If I center-punch it from the 27 with .032 choke it leaves only a dust cloud

Buz

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

Since I started using Rex 1, I went for a while to Promo, but was not impressed with it. I load Riefenhauser (straight walled) hulls, and a very bulky powder works best for these. In my Mec press, it takes a #36 bushing to drop the same amount of Rex, that a #31 will drop of Promo. I load 24 and 28 gram loads.

Since there is an almost unlimited supply of Riefenhauser type hulls at my club, I just ordered another 25 lb box of Rex 1. It is not as clean as Clays or Solo 1000, but I shoot O/U's exclusively, where the goop goes out the muzzle. The price is hard to beat, too. It is a soft shooting powder that is not temperature sensitive, when a suitable primer is used. I only use Fed 209A and the Rio primers, and use the Fed data for both types.

9. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

I have loaded 150 lbs of REX I and 75 lbs of REX II, and I like both of the powders. I have found that in cooler weather you should use F209A or RIO to set it off correctly. Very reasonably priced and consistent. FD PS I have found that 17.4 grs. in a WAA hull and WJII wad with F616 primer garners 1220 fps in a 34" Perazzi barrel.

10. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

I have started using Rex II for about six months. A friend of mine started using Rex I about the same time. Up till then I mainly used 700x. I like the Rex II. I have found it is sensitive to the cold under 40 degrees. So I keep my loads in the truck cab when going to the shoots and take them in the club house when I arrive. My buddy just leaves his in the bed of the truck. When he is on the line you can tell very well the difference in his loads of the varable in the ingnition. Most sound very week. When I talked him in to keeping them inside untill ready to shoot he had no problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
burning speed of rex 2 powder
rex 1 load data
rex 1 reloading data
rex 1 reloading powder composition
rex o powder sales

rex powder load data

rex powder reloading data

rex-o powder