1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

question re pre 1925 model 12 short chamber

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by buddy123, Feb 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buddy123

buddy123 Guest

The gun in question is an early model 12 in 20 gauge.
    It has a 25 inch barrel and 2 1/2 inch chamber.
    Has anyone here ever converted one like this to 2 3/4 inch?
    If so, what was the general process and approximate cost?
    Any advice will be appreciated.
    Pete

2. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

It can be done but I think its somewhat expensive to do it right. I've got a 16ga made in 1913 that has the short chamber. No more than I shoot it I just buy 2 1/2" shells. That way the gun stays original and I still get to use it. Its actually my favorite pheasant gun!

Steve

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

its cheap- you could do it yourself if you had a chamber reamer

Gene

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have to agree with Sarg on this. Leave the Grand Old Gun as is, buy the right bullets for an occasional treat, and enjoy!

5. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Don't mess with it! You have a wonderful old gun and ammo is readily avaliable shoot it and enjoy it.

6. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

Buddy, Call Stu Wright in Pinckneyville, Ill. (618) 357-8933 He is an expert on mod 12s. He opened a chamber on a 12ga. to 2-3/4" for me and it wasn't that expensive. Larry Evans

7. buddy123

buddy123 Guest

Thank you for all the help on the chamber question.What about any insertion/ejection issues in the receiver ports to accomodate the slightly longer 2 3/4 inch shells?
    Thanks, Pete

8. boomer

boomer TS Supporters TS Supporters

Pete--The ejection port will also have to be enlarged for reliable ejection. You got good advise above. Don't ruin the gun with this work. 2 1/2" ammo is readily available--or sell it and buy a 2 3/4" gun. There's no shortage of M12's in the marketplace.

9. Holeinmypattern

Holeinmypattern TS Member

I have one made in 1913. The chamber has been lengthened but the ejection port is original.
    it will shoot 2 3/4 shells but it can be difficult to get them to eject.
    I would leave it alone if I where you. An origanal gun that old shouldnt be messed with! Thats my 2 cents worth.

John

10. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Any shotgun press you load on.. that also loads 2.5" 410 shells.. can EASILY load 2.5" or 2 5/8" ammo.. Normally.. you'll just need to trim the crimping die body..and there is enough adjustment to take care of the rest.. A pacific/Hornady 150/155/266 can EASILY be converted.. I've done many for friends.. A simple case trimmer can recycle the hulls you already have.. Ballistic products can furnish the wads and loading data..

11. onlym12's

onlym12's TS Member

I have a 16ga that was opened up, it work's flawlessly. I bought the gun that way, but I would never have it done myself. Just my opinion.

Thank's Mike

12. g7777777

The ejection port usually doesnt need any work

You can check but unless you have some very rare variant- there isnt going to be any collectors value - so why not extend it that fraction of an inch ?

You are then safer- regardless of who shoots it in the future or what ammunition is used

Regards from Iowa

Gene

13. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

Gn7777777, to function correctly the ejection port absolutely needs to be enlarged accordingly. Check with Simmons, Williams or Wright's. I am in favor of leaving it as it came from the factory. Why spend $250 to destroy the collector value of a great old gun. J.W.

14. g7777777

J Woolsley-$250? You been taken to the cleaners buddy

I have done this several times-- most people charge 50 bucks and no you dont need the ejection port enlarged most times- in fact I have never had it enlarged- not that that would be a big deal

You could just buy a chambering reamer yourself for whatever they cost and do it yourself- we are talking a fraction of an inch here

J W --what collectors value are you talking about?

regards from Iowa

Gene

15. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

No Gene ole Buddy, I talked to someone who knows what the heck he is doing, and has been doing for many years. Matter of fact last I heard people at Simmons make a living Gunsmithing, Perhaps you also do, if so may I suggest you measure a pre 1926 16ga or a 20ga ejection port then a 2 3/4"port and come back with the results. Simmons,Williams,etc reams the Chamber, lengthens the forcing cone (did you do this also?) lengthen the ejection port, and reblue for $250. Price sounds fair to me. As for the collector thing when you have a 1921 mod 12 in pristine condition, don't you think it would have more value as an original piece? Yes Gene some people collect Mod 12's J.Woolsey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

model 12 short chambers