1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question re Breakfree CLP

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hooligan, Jun 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hooligan

Hooligan Member

I know a lot of you guys swear by this stuff however we do not see much of it down here in Australia - too expensive. Regardless of cost if it does what it is supposed to do I would be happy to use it. When I finish shooting I clean my Perazzi and remove all old grease and oil ( Tri Flo) and wipe down the barrels
    inside and out with Rem Oil until the next use. I would like to try CLP however I have read a few comments about it not being good on the solder of the Perazzi rib!
    I would seem to be because of the lead solvent it contains.
    I would appreciate any comments or advice.

Barry

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

The only true lead solvent I know of is mercury and I know that there's none of that in CLP.

MK

3. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Break Free has never bothered any of the Beretta ribs i have shot for 24 years.

4. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

The stuff I have is winchester brand break free clp and I didn't cost much more than rem oil.

5. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Interesting, I've been using Breakfree CLP for 20 years on all my Perazzis, inside & out (wipe, not spray), never heard of a problem on solder till now, I'd like to know if it's a valid claim.

6. JH

JH Well-Known Member

BF CLP liquid is better than the aerosol solution. I have used Breakfree CLP for close to 30 years. Never a problem. The only thing I use as a lubricant and rust preventative. Of course, for powder residue, Shooter's Choice is also the thing to use.

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Best lube to use on a Remington 1100, never a problem. HMB

8. M-16

M-16 TS Member

One of Breakfree's advantages is it works in extreme cold and that should be a issue in Aus. If you keep your gun clean and lube it which brand/ kind isn't that big of a deal. Even the mid grade oils will surpass the needs that you can apply in a day of shooting

9. JONNY D

JONNY D TS Member

hooligan, tron put me onto this stuff and i had trouble finding it here in west ozz but it is here you have to ask your local shop to order it at 20$+ a can it is dear but it works great a. i use it in my 391 and it is so easy to clean the s--t of after a days shooting its not worth using anything else!!!

10. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

BreakFree CLP is the best stuff for 1100s and autos. Other stuff should work just as good on O/Us.

11. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I fully endorse BREAKFREE..

12. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Lucked out and found the one gallon size at the Chantilly gun show . Should last awhile. Great stuff . Jeff

13. Hooligan

Hooligan Member

Thanks to everyone for the replies. From all the comments it would appear the solder problem is just idle waffle!! Jonny D - I have had to order it specially
    as here in Vic it is only in 2oz bottles at local gun shops. NIOA are the importers and I have ordered from Sydney.

Barry

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

It seems that different shooters use different cleaning products, powders and reloading presses and they all believe that what they use is the best. But, I know of very few shooters who have ever tested, or even know how to test the products they fully endorse.

Will Breakfree actually clean better than a mixture of 10% kerosene and 90% acetone? Will Breakfree inhibit rust better than motor oil? Is Breakfree a better lubricant than Automatic Transmission fluid or 3 in 1 oil?

Pat Ireland

15. Bob M

Bob M Member

Pat, stop trying to tear down anecdotal evidence by the suggested use of the scientific method! Having said this, I love Break Free and have tested it a little compared to other products. Slip 2000 is good stuff too. WD 40 - only use that for a quick wipe when nothing else is handy. I learned the hard way about heavy use of WD 40 and long term storage.

In the long run, it may be the attention to the maintenance task at hand has a greater effect than the actual product used.

16. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Pat - I don't know if BreakFree cleans better or better prevent rust than those other products you mention. I don't really care. What I know is that BreakFree CLP does a splendid job keeping the carbon build-up off the gas action parts of automatics and keeps them working. Nothing I tried before BreakFree did. That's why I use it.

And BreakFree isn't a flammable, toxic, noxious, stinky chemical I don't want in the house. I can use BreakFree inside without spousal confrontation.

17. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Pat,

All you need do is tear down an engine of any sort that has been stored containing only motor to answer your question regarding motor oil as a rust preventative.

Motor oil is not engineered to prevent rust (although some contain additives touted as "corrosion inhibitors") and it's really rather poor at doing so. There are oils specifically designed and intended as rust preventitives. Google <I>fogging oil</I> and <i>pickling</I> or <I>antirust oil</I>.

MK

18. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

I use Break Free on choke tubes--I think it works better than the special choke tube greases...Smokit

19. KennyRay

KennyRay Active Member

Breakfree CLP was recommended to me by the curators at the National Firearms Museum. They said that is what they use on all their firearms as the C=cleans, L=lubricates & P=protects from rust.

Upon their recommendation I used Breakfree CLP to clean every firearm at the Trapshooting Hall of Fame and followed with a very light coat of Rennisance wax (Microcrystalline) over everything, metal & wood. This was for long term storage.

I figured if it was good enough for them . . . it was good enough for us too!

Kenny Ray

20. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Ballistol.

Simply the best.

Non-toxic too. Cleans wounds. You never have to worry about solvents and it leeching toxins into your hands or under your nails or your kids getting into it.

you will never see a rust spot on your guns again and it cleans like solvent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to use break free clp