1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question re 1100 LW 20 ga

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by claybrdr, Apr 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

I have the chance to buy a youth model of the subject gun for use by my 10 year old Grandson (under my supervision, of course). I'm not familiar with this model but have seen 1100 LT models..

Is this a desirable gun from the standpoint of being somewhat rare or unique? It sounds like it would be something he could better handle that the 303 20 ga Sporter of mine he tried to handle... The purchase price is in the $500 range.

2. claybrdr

No, this is the LW and not the LT model. I understand it is on a smaller frame.

3. Robb

Robb Member

I'd like to hear more about the differences between the LW and the LT and did they make a LWT. I didn't know they weren't all alike. Thanks

4. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Lt barrels can be made to fit an LW by cutting the portion off to the same length that slides in the reciever. JP

5. drucker

drucker TS Member

I have two LT 1100's that both of my boys (small for age) have shot, one since age 8 and the other at age 10 with lots of success....many LT barrels on ebay to add diversity....I bought the standard size LT's, not the youth and then purchased youth stocks so they will last a life time.....paid $200.00 for one brand new on clearance from Walmart and $300.00 used from a private party...both are excellent guns

6. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Maclellan1911, I am sorry to tell you , but there are 3, yes 3 variants of 1100 20ga. The first was based on the 12 ga frame and is refered to as the Standard 20 . Then came the LW , the barrel tang is shorter than the later LT. If the gun has a LW stamped on it the reciever differs from the standard. I have never seen a 30" Standard 20 barrel, only if you measured the total length with the tang would you get 30". I have a Standard 20 magnum and it has the longest barrel on a 20 I have seen and its 28" from the chamber to the muzzle. Jeff

7. claybrdr

Thanks for the info.

8. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

Something else to think about with the youth guns is the short bbl length. Some find it to be somewhat dangerous, especially in the hands of an absent minded kid. For this reason, I bought a 1100 Skeet gun and cut down a used stock. Safer in my eyes.

9. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

I have a Standard weight 20 Magnum ,I am not confusing the later models. I have barrels for all three recievers and all are different. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.