1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question?Practice,vs,Just shoot, ATA,PITA

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by trappug, Jan 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trappug

trappug TS Member

I was just telling the guy that I shoot with ,Because of the rising cost of shooting that Ive decided only to shoot ata or pita matches.Mainly because of the cost of shells and targets for practice.What do you think of this.I can still get regestered targets,and practice,While still having a chance to Trophy.Does any body think this is a bad thing.Dave

2. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

I wish all my competitors had your attitude.

3. trappug

trappug TS Member

Is that good thing,I hope so.I'm pretty sure that I'm still getting practice,Though it will probably take me longer to get better.PS I'm saving some money While being a new shooter.Dave

4. trappug

trappug TS Member

Besides isn't it supposed to be fun as well

5. trappug

trappug TS Member

I do try to shoot at least 1 practice round on the day of shoots,Just to break, and see a few birds.Dave

6. Dynokick189

Dynokick189 TS Member

If you've ever said to yourself (well... the first 25 of this 100 bird event are just practice anyhow) then you'll probably be happy just shooting. Felt this way myself a few times.

But, if you're looking at doing really well in a 200 - 400 bird day, the lack of practice will likely show up more as a function of stamina (both physical and mental).

As with others, I shoot because I LIKE it. If I wanted really high scores, I'd take up golf!!! When I really feel like being competitive in the major shoots, I tend to practice more.

How you allocate your disposible income is up to you.

Mike

7. lumper

lumper TS Member

Dave ... without getting to deep into your disposable income and the allocation of your funds and how many registered shoots you can shoot this year I dont know if I would limit yourself to just registered shoots and almost no practice or fun shooting.

I know that I have already made a list for myself of various shoots that I will participate in this year and various shoots I would like to participate in this year. There is no question that it is going to be more expensive this year than last year and that the disposable income will not be as much so I know I must be careful in how much I shoot but that does not mean I will cut back and not shoot anything expect registered or other match type events. I will though cut back and limit myself as to how many rounds a day and how many times a week or month depending on the time of year.

If it were me I would look at how much you can shoot and not limit myself to only registered shoots but cut back on those a little and shoot to have fun at the local club ... anytime you shoot it is practice and shooting at your local club with your friends can, at times be more fun then shooting for trophies.

8. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

Lumper - Registered shoots ARE the fun shoots - compared to just screwing around. I do the same, especially at some place like the Silver Dollar that charges too much for practice. Just register them, shoot cheaper, and shoot at birds that count for something, while having fun at the same time. Me and my buddys shoot a lot of registered birds, sometime for a week at a time, and they are all fun!

9. lumper

lumper TS Member

Ken ... if all your doing is just screwing around when you shoot with friends at your local club than your just wasting your money. I know that I can have fun while shooting with my friends and at the same time know that I am serious enough when it is time to shoot to be practicing and improving myself whether it be on the trap line, on a skeet station or shooting the bunker ... but then again it is fun sometimes just to let loose and begin shooting from low gun or letting your buddy call for your target or ... well ... sometimes its just fun to let loose and shoot your buddies target for him. ;-)

Shooting at your local club with friends at times can be far more rewarding than shooting a registered event and I know that the clubs I shoot at are far cheaper to shoot at than shooting practice rounds before a registered shoot or even shooting registered targets.

To each there own though and I think I would rather give up a couple of registered events before giving up shooting with friends at the club.

10. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

Lumpy you seem to consider yourself the "knowledgeable authority" on every thread that comes down the pike. I'll bet your shoulder gets real sore from patting yourself on the back and hipshot on the butt. Ben

11. lumper

lumper TS Member

Ben ... I only bow to your knowledgeable expertise of the world.

BTW ... is there some reason why you feel a need to follow me and attack me with your commentary of my postings or do you just feel the need to want to attack somebody?

12. Little Limber

Little Limber TS Member

Don't worry about Ben, lumper. He's just mad cause his tractor is broke.

LL

13. trappug

trappug TS Member

Is there some things I can do for stamina to keep in shape while prepairing to shoot regisered targets.I was told some guys put weights on their guns,and practice mounting,swing,etc.Dave

14. lumper

lumper TS Member

LL ... that is a major serious thing to a farmer when his tractor is not working correctly and if that is his cause of turmoilistic attacks I feel bad for saying something.

Ben ... I hope your tractor gets fixed and is working perfectly again very soon.

15. lumper

lumper TS Member

TrapPug ... this is just my opinion and I am sure Ben will have something to say about it but ... there is nothing that will actually improve your overall shooting than by shooting and shooting and shooting and ... well you know what I mean.

Personally I do not think you will improve all that much or be all that great of a shooter if you sacrifice shooting 2 or 4 rounds every or every other week to save money and such so you can shoot only registered targets or can you shoot registered targets each and every week?

BTW ... how much are registered targets per 100 costing you to shoot and how much is a round of 25 costing you at your local club?

16. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Practice makes perfect. Nothing comes easy. One must put the time money and effort into anything requiring skill. That's how it is. If you can't or don't put those three items into your effort, shoot for fun and don't waste your time in competition. You'll only be frustrated and quit shooting, as I have seen so many shooters do in my 33 years of trap shooting.

17. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Not everyone is the same, but I've never shot much practice at all. Shooting more targets in competition (be it league or registered) has always seemed more productive to me than simply shooting practice.

18. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

Lumpy, you da man. ROFLMFAO FD

19. avidtrapshooter

avidtrapshooter TS Member

I personally would dump shooting registered and just have fun a the local club.

20. lumper

lumper TS Member

Mr Avid ... I would tend to do the same thing but still shoot one or two registered events with friends from the club throughout the year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.