1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question on who to put on metal rib permanently?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by MR870, Oct 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MR870

MR870 Member

I have a friend who has a new 725 and is wanting to put a new metal 3/8's rib on top but he wants it to be soldered on permantly.Who does this beside Simmons and Moneymaker?pros and cons.

2. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

contact dennis devault and use some of his super dooper glue. It will never come off motordoc

3. MR870

MR870 Member

My buddy is from the old school,silver solder or nothing other than dovetails.

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Roger Eubanks is the best rib guy period

5. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Devault uses double sided tape.

I've never heard of anyone that will silver solder an add-on rib to an existing rib. Silver soldering an aluminum add-on to an existing steel rib would probably be quite difficult if not impossible, and it would be impossible to maintain the finish on both due to the heat, so you'd probably end up having to use one of the spray coatings (duracoat, cerakote ect) when your done, since you can't blue aluminum, and you can't anodize steel. If you were to silver solder a steel add-on to the existing rib, you'd end up with an exceptionally heavy barrel (a 3/8" steel rib would be about 20oz).

Your friends best (and maybe only) option is to have his existing rib stripped off and one installed by simmons or moneymaker to his specifications. Otherwise, it may be possible to drill and tap the existing rib, and screw an add-on rib to it.

6. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Briley is who I would use.

7. Hotrod67

Hotrod67 Member

I've been a welder for almost 40 years. Silver soldering or even lead soldering will not work, different metals. Automotive epoxys work very well. That industry does not weld things much anymore. When I get my add- a- rib figured out,I will have it drilled and tapped.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.