1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Question On Trimmer Mowers

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Charkat1, Jun 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charkat1

Charkat1 Member

We recently purchased a new (used) home on 4 acres on an East Tennessee mountain side. The property is about 3/4 acres of lawn and the rest neglected woods and meadow. The house had been vacent for over a year. Needless to say, there are lots of rocks and rough ground. We would like to clean up the property and eventually push the woods back. We brought our old Bolens riding mower with us and proceeded to trash the cutting deck on the rocks. We have been looking at the string trimmer mowers like the Husqvarna HUS625HWT, but have never seen anyone using one. Does anybody out there have any experience with these type machines?
  2. skeeljc

skeeljc Active Member

I have a DR self propelled string trimmer. It is a great machine. I would thing the self propelled feature would be valuable on hilly and rocky terrain. It has electric start.

DR just came out with a metal bladed cutting attachment for it. The metal blades are designed for tall weeds and light brush (up to 3/8"). Their heavy blue colored cord may be what you want with all the rocks.

Their website is at the top of this post.

Jim Skeel<BR>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor
  3. halfmile

halfmile Active Member

Jim, I love the DR Trimmer. with the Beaver Tooth attachment it cuts 4 inch trees. The blade you describe is not quite as hairy but will work great on brush.

If you snub it too many times you smoke the belt, so keep a spare around. It's a standard V belt available at farm stores.

Normal usage won't hurt the belt, I just really hammer mine.

The neat part is you can put new whips in without tools.

I would reccoment this tool to anyone with a need for it.

HM
  4. docjonsn

docjonsn TS Member

I have the swisher string mower I works great but has it's problems.

the front ground contact pad is soft plastic that screws on to a steel shaft.

when the contact wheres away it exposes the shaft and wheres that away too.

I would not go with the swisher again.

Pete
  5. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

DR also has a tow behind version. Perhaps you can use your Bolens tractor to pull it around.
  6. Gunn

Gunn TS Member

We have five acres, lots of black berries. DR has the power, easy to use, just use the heaviest string. But is great. Tim
  7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Active Member

4 acres in east Tenn?? I am totally jealous
  8. skeeljc

skeeljc Active Member

Here is a photo of the self propelled model. They have upgraded it to 14" wheels (mine has 12" wheels). I recommend the self propelled model unless you are in your 20's.

Jim Skeel

skeeljc_2008_030341.jpg
  9. Charkat1

Charkat1 Member

Thanks so much to everyone who responded to this thread.

You never let me down.

Charlene
  10. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Active Member

Have 5.5 acres of brow lot on a mountain (also in East Tennessee). Have an older (10+ years old) DR that I trim the edges of the mowed yard with. Still runs fine after all these years.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.