1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question on the 100,000.Grand American Challenge

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Kolar 309 - 2, Jul 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kolar 309 - 2

Kolar 309 - 2 Member

My question is this. If a shooter is on the 24.5 yard line and shot a 100 straight in the last event being the GAH which he would win or tie and have to shoot off and would earn him a 2.5 yard punch which would put him on the 27 yard line in the next handicap event he shoots .If he wins the shoot off he would qualify to shoot in the challenge.He would shoot from the 24.5 in the GAH shoot off but what yard does he in the challenge .The challenge is not handicap event it is a very gratis donation that MR.&MRS.Martin has given to some lucky shooter who is the last man standing. Break them all.Charlie

2. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Charlie,

Everyone has that question, and has since this was announced.

I'm sure we'll find out what the detail rules are before the first handicap event on August 3rd.

3. OldMnGopher

OldMnGopher TS Member

4. hoosier

hoosier TS Member

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I remember reading a few posting on here that said you would shoot from the yardage you won at, therefore 24.5 per Neil Winston ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

WPT

"I remember reading a few posting on here that said you would shoot from the yardage you won at, therefore 24.5 per Neil Winston"

That raises two points one Neil said that was because it was a shoot off. Yet the ATA has it listed as a special event. so what kind of shoot off is a special event???

Another point Neil isn't an officer of the ATA or a delegate from MN any longer so what does that make him? A member with special privileges????

Bob Lawless

7. OldMnGopher

OldMnGopher TS Member

24.5 yards

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

27, unless they changed it to comply with ATA rules. Donors' prerogative, I think.

9. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member

As per the tournament director, qualifiers will shoot from their earned yardage. So in this case, it is the 27 yd line. If he had won from the 20, then earned even more yardage during the Grand, he would shoot the challenge from the maximum of earned yardage.

10. MNGopher

MNGopher TS Member

Karla,

this time I think you are wrong..

24 1/2 yards

Eric Munson

11. clydep

clydep Member

In this case, I agree with those that said 24 1/2 yds. He would shoot from the yardage he shot from to win the event. Here's another hypothetical question. If Joe Trapshooter wins two of the Handicap events,do they run the challange with nine shooters instead of ten? Just wonder if any of these situations have been thought out ahead? Clyde Courtwright

12. Kolar 309 - 2

Kolar 309 - 2 Member

It looks like there are mixed opinion's on the yardage in question.I think our A.T.A. President or board of director's should make a ruling on this issue in case it comes up and post it trapshooters.com.Charlie

13. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

clydep

"I agree with those that said 24 1/2 yds. He would shoot from the yardage he shot from to win the event."

Well if that was an event that they one and this is a special event it would appear that if they are allowing to shoot from the original yardage shot wouldn't that be circumventing the rules?

The following is copied from the Earned Yardage Sections of the current ATA rulebook.

"The Average Card must be punched to the correct earned yardage on the day the yardage is earned and before leaving the tournament grounds. If a member is required to leave the tournament grounds prior to the completion of a Handicap event, it is the member’s duty to determine if his or her score qualified for a yardage increase and to have his or her Average Card punched to the correct yardage prior to entering any subsequent registered event and/or tournament."

Kind of make you think doesn't it.

"If Joe Trapshooter wins two of the Handicap events,do they run the challange with nine shooters instead of ten"

No the runner up in one of the events takes the open spot.

Bob Lawless

14. Richard Marshall JR.

Richard Marshall JR. Member

Karla is correct. 27

Richard Marshall Jr.

15. al391claybuster

al391claybuster TS Member

Heck, there's so many questions to be answered before this special event. How many targets will it be 25, 50, or 100? With a mixture of yardage shooters, will it be held over multi traps, or one group at a time at the same house? It could take up to 4 traps if it's held at the same time, say(6)27yrdrs, (1) 24yrdr, and (3)18-20yrdrs. Thanks David

16. trapwife

Since it is my job at the Grand to answer member's questions (thanks to all of you who provide me with entries for the dumb question of the day contest) I have asked Tournament Director Mike Hampton to give me some information. The $100,000 CHALLENGE is not a registered event, it is not a shoot off, it is a separate CHALLENGE, therefore, the ATA rules do not apply. There will be nine handicap registered events. You must shoot in at least 4 of the 9 to be considered as a possible qualifier. You must shoot new shells at meet ATA specs. You may bring new shells from home, buy them off the grounds or from the Grand shell house. The winner of each of the 9 events will be considered as a qualifier. If one person wins two handicaps, the runner up will be considered as a qualifier. One shooter who participated in at least 4 registered events will be drawn at random to become the tenth qualifier for the Challenge. There will be ten shooters. They will all shoot a round of 25 at their earned yardages. How they are squadded will depend on their yardages. If there are ties after the first round, it will become a "miss and out". There will be a procedure in place to insure that everyone who wins a registered event was shooting from their proper yardage or they won't qualify for the Challenge. The ATA has always had a rule about "know ability" and this will be accepted. There will be posted information in the events center, where you sign up. All questions will be answered to the best of my ability or I will find someone else with the answers you seek, that is my job at Membership Services.

17. OldMnGopher

OldMnGopher TS Member

24.5 yards.. It would be the only fair way.

Bob Munson

18. trapwife

Bobby, you may not think it's fair, but that's the way it is going to be done. I don't make the rules, just report them. See ya soon....

19. OldMnGopher

OldMnGopher TS Member

I guess we will have to wait and see. I still think 24.5 yards. ?????

20. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Keep doing the same thing over and over yet expect different results ..? This would be the perfect time for an absolute preplan to be in place just in case some lucky shooter gets hot, but if they do and they move that shooter, it sure puts the odds against that shooter in the Shoot Out ... I have to agree with my idol Bob Munson on this one and hope he is right for the sake of being fair to everyone ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.