1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

QUESTION ON SUB-GAUGE TUBES??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by yukon_870, May 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yukon_870

yukon_870 Member

I have a SKB 585 field grade with 28” barrels in12ga that I use to shoot skeet and sporting clays with and want to get a set of sub-gauge tubes for it to start shooting 20ga. events. Is Briley the best choice to purchase sub-gauge tubes or is there another company out there that is better?

2. mag410

mag410 Active Member

Briley and Kolar are the only options for full length tubes. I have had both and they are both good. The only real difference is that it is easier to change the chokes on Briley tubes while they are installed in your barrels. Kolar chokes screw "on" to the end of the tubes and are often to tight a fit to change while in the barrel.

Michael Goines

3. riflegunbuilder

riflegunbuilder Member

I have a set of each. If I were ordering this morning I would probably call Kolar. I like the longer choke especially in 410.

4. 360

360 TS Member

I say if you're not a competitive 4 gauge skeet shooter the Briley companion tubes are the way to go. They'll fit in multiple guns and can be sold separately. Figure out your guns bore size and start looking for a used set. If you buy tubes for an 18.4 bore they will fit in most older guns, the companions I have fit in three of mine.

5. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

When you put tubes into an O/U you change the weight and balance substantially.
    May not be a good idea for sporting clays. Skeet shooter generally either
    get a set of "carrier" barrels that are very light to use with the tubes;
    or they shoot an auto in the 12gauge (All gauge) event.

Another possibility is a set of very short tubes, like the Chambermates.
    They seem to work well eith the 20 and 28 gauge, but not some much with the

Or extra sets of barrels. Or a couple new guns.

6. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Yukon, Here's what I noticed when I bought mine several years ago. Briley and Kolar were the same price, but I got a extra choke for each set of gauges for the same price from Briley. I also "hear" that Kolar will cut your forcing cones inside your barrels to install their tube sets!!! I talked to most of the skeet shooters at my club most of whom liked Briley's warrenty much better. They said Briley covered problems with the ejectors that Kolar wanted to charge for the same repairs. I would recommend the ultra light tubes as these will only add 11 oz's for both in your gun. The matched weight tubes are heavier. The fitted tubes and the companion tubes cost the same, but the fitted tubes are married to your barrels for life. If you call Briley talk to Gary Singer and he will explain everything to you. Do go to their website and look around first that way he can fill you in on any questions you have. If you like to use Extended chokes they can make the tubes stick out of the barrel to be even with the extended chokes tubes in your gun. This will allow you to change the sub-gauge choke tubes as they will be at the end of the gun. If you have them make the tubes stop at the end of the barrel and you use the extended chokes, the sub-gauge chokes will be set back inside your barrel end to far to change while they are being used. Go to Briley.com and see for yourself. break em all Jeff

7. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

I've bought used both brands and if I were buying a new set today it would be Kolar.

1) No solid evidence but I think the Kolar AAA's are sturdier than anything Briley sells.

2) With respect to service after the sale (or tube sets that came with a set of used barrels) I'd give Kolar an A and Briley a C+ or maybe a B-. A lot of people who answer the phone at Briley's don't seem to have a clue.

3) With respect to Kolar reducing the forcing cones it doesn't bother me for two reason's (1) they have the equipment and know how to use it, and (2) it allows them to make the chamber ends of the tubes a bit thicker which I like.

I'm not a big fan of switching tubes between different barrels as I'd be concerned about stretching the tubes - one size very well might fit many barrels but not for me.

If, however. someone wanted to give me a set of new Briley tubes I wouldn't turn them down.

8. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

I have a full set of briley subgauge companion tubes and couldn't be happier with them. Check out my most recent post "Thanks Briley for Subgauge Tube Repair". I shoot them a lot and switch between gauges all the time in a citori. I use the standard size for skeet because I want the weight. Service has been top notch in my experiences. Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

briley subgauge tube choes

do most sub gauge tubes have screw in chokes