1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question on storing ammo

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by trapshootertoo, Dec 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trapshootertoo

trapshootertoo Member

I've been stocking up on rifle and pistol ammo plus reloading supplies every since OBUMBO was first elected. My question is, is a gun safe a safe place to store it? I have a several guns on one side but worry if there was a fire the ammo may add to risk. What u guys think?

2. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

If your storing any amount of ammo in a safe,in a fire the safe can become a big pipe bomb.Better of storing smaller amounts in different places around the house, garage or out-buildings.Just an idea.

3. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Smokeless powder (except black powder)doesn't explode, it burns very fast. However, if confined, it creates tremendous pressure. The trick is to store it in containers that will prevent moisture, oxidation, etc., but still release the pressure in a reduced manner if exposed to high enough temps to combust. I've got a couple of 20mm ammo cans that serve well for powder storage.

Want proof? Completely wrap a 1 lb canister of smokeless powder with nylon filament packing tape, leaving just enough room for some cannon fuse. Light it and run like hell! Works great for removing large sections of ice in a frozen river during winter. Not too good for fishing, though.

Even more exciting if you do it with a can of 2F black. Not recommended if you are a slow runner, however.

4. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Ammo mixed with guns has the potential to exacerbate any damage that the guns receive in the fire. It may also cause more damage to the guns than the fire itself (in other words, you could have a situation where if there was no ammo, the guns would be completely fine, but b/c there was ammo, the guns are damaged/destroyed). Not a good idea if you can help it.

5. trapshootertoo

trapshootertoo Member

Thanks everyone and Merry Christmas to all!

6. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

At least move the powder out of the safe. Depending on how much powder, it's just a bomb if the fire is hot enough. Move it somewhere the expanding gases can dissipate and not be contained.

Ajax

7. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Just store it in wooden cupboard.There are however Federal rules as to how much an indivdual can store or transport. Smokless powder in its orginal container will just go phssst in a fire. big flash of light and yes smoke believe it or not. Black powder is explosive that is why it is not sold in huge containers. Cartridges will just go pop in a fire if not contained in anything other than the carboard boxes they come in. Now then I have no idea what a "spam" can of 7.62 Russian or 8mm Romainian etc. etc. will do in fire. I would guess the gases would build up to the point that a seam would open and then just pops. Normal fireman turn out gear will stop so called exploding small arms ammunition from doing injury. The cases will fly farther than the slugs/bullets do to that law a fellow named Newton figured out.Myth Busters also had a show couple years ago and taped different cartridges being heated to the point of going off and the case did the damage, in this case the glass in an oven foor got cracked. That is the lighter item will go faster further in this case the cartridge case. Yes you might run the risk of getting an eye put out when the ammo starts to pop but it ain't gonna kill ya!!!!NRA did a study years and years ago about ammo in fire and no big deal!!! cool and dry is the operative word for storing ammo to maintain its shelf life. Bill

8. trapshootertoo

trapshootertoo Member

Thanks Bill, I don't store powder in my gun safe just ammo but looks like that's not a good idea either.

9. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Haskins Bill, you sure your right smokeless will just go phsst? LOL In the first Rambo movie (First Blood) didn't John Rambo blow up the sporting goods store with 4lb containers of Red Dot? They wouldn't lie in a Hollywood movie would they? LOL

10. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Ha Ha oops I forgot all about that one!!! A long dead friend of mine once thought it would be a good idea to show his stepsons how to make firecrackers using black powder. Well that worked out okay. The boys in their joy of making things go bang decided they would make some on their own but the black powder was all gone. They got some rifle powder while my friend was at work. Rolled a quantity of smokeless powder up in newspaper real tight and taped it and using some cannon fuse lit it off on the back porch. Big damned flash of fire and the wood siding on the house caught fire. Good thing the garden hose was right there or it could have been a real disaster!!!

11. SBray

SBray Active Member

I just saw this video posted on Glock Talk. It is put out by SAMMI for fire fighting training. I thought someone might find it interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SlOXowwC4c&feature=player_embedded

Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.