1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

question on stock refinishing.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pat drake, Sep 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pat drake

pat drake TS Member

I want to refinish my stock. It is a walnut stock with a Rem 700 action. I have sanded the old finish off the stock and am now ready to finish it. I am not going to stain the wood. I want a satin finish. Here is my question. What the hell do use on it? Laquer? tung oil? polyurethane? tru-oil? I know you guys love your guns as much as I do, so thats why I came here. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks, Pat

2. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

If its any help,I would use a sealer for the first coat,sand down with very (600) grit wet/dry paper,and finish withj a satin finish poly.looks nice and water proof for a hunting gun. Ray

3. emm2

emm2 Member

I use tru oil and have very good results with it. The last stock I did I put on 10 coats of it and then 5 coats of wax, it came out with a nice satin finish and is pretty weather resistant.

4. 682b

682b Member

I used car compound to strip a stock I finished with Tru oil. I have found that it is easy to use but even easier to strip. With hard use it did not with stand my abuse. Just my very humble opinion. Here are a couple I finished with Custom oil from Brownells.

<a href="http://s110.photobucket.com/albums/n114/jted1952/?action=view&current=FinishedAnton002.jpg" target="_blank"> FinishedAnton002.jpg </a>

<a href="http://s110.photobucket.com/albums/n114/jted1952/?action=view&current=FAJENSTYLESTOCKWNI8000001.jpg" target="_blank"> FAJENSTYLESTOCKWNI8000001.jpg </a>

<a href="http://s110.photobucket.com/albums/n114/jted1952/?action=view&current=FAJENSTYLESTOCKWNI8000005.jpg" target="_blank"> FAJENSTYLESTOCKWNI8000005.jpg </a>

The first is a 2 line Anton and the second is a Fajen style roll over comb stock for 1100's Do your self a favor leave the Tru-oil alone back at wall-mart.

Jim

5. pat drake

pat drake TS Member

thanks guys. Jim, those stocks are beautiful. I have been doing some reading and looking around and I like the way tung oil finished stocks look. the way I take it, they are pretty weather resistant and tung oil is fairly easy to apply. any thoughts on tung oil? good or bad!
    Pat

6. 682b

682b Member

I spent alot of time and money trying to use Waterlox successfully I found it very hard to use. It sounded easy but in reality it was not for me. Waterlox is a modified tong oil product. The gloss is 40.00 per quart. That is not cheep but if it had worked it would have been all right. The custom oil is also a modified tung oil but also has urethane added. Thanks for the compliment on the stocks. Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.