1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question on stock fitting terminology

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bonzai272, Jun 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bonzai272

bonzai272 Member

I have a question regarding stock fitting terminology. Picked up a gun recently and when holding it straight out in front of me, with the muzzle pointed away, looking at the buttpad from the rear of the gun, it appears as if its cocked to the left slightly. Meaning the very bottom tip of the butt pad is cocked right, and the top tip of the pad is cocked left. I hope Im explaining this in a way that makes sense. Does this refer to "cast on/cast off" or is it something to do with "toe out"...or are these the same thing? Also, what is the purpose of this? Thanks for helping out a newbie.

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

its "cant". In other words, the gun is "canted".

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Cant is when the entire stock is slightly bent to right or left
    The toe is the bottom rear point of the stock. You could have both cant and toe out on the same stock:
    Look at Kolars website. The twisted sister stock is both canted and toe out.

4. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Matt,

The gun isn't canted, the butt pad is. If the gun were canted, the rib would be leaning to the left or right.

bonzai272,

Cast is where the stock is angled, from the hand grip area to the butt, to the right or left. If cast is applied for a right-hand shooter it is called "cast off" and the stock is angled to the right. For a left-hand shooter, it is called "cast on" and the stock is angled to the left.

Even with cast (on or off) you can then angle, or cant, the butt pad.

Cast allows the shooter to get his/her eye lined up with the beads. This is effectively what an adjustable comb provides, although moving the comb to the right does not apply "cast off" to a gun.

5. grntitan

My fault. I read it to say the whole thing was canted. It sounds as if the gun has adjustable pad hardware of some sort. The adjustable pad hardware can be great for getting the pad in your shoulder pocket completely. Does the gun appear like this?
    grntitan_2009_250362.jpg

6. bonzai272

bonzai272 Member

Ok so based on what has been posted already, I am not referring to cast. It definitely looks more like the picture "grntitan" just posted. The bottom tip of the butt pad is toed out to the right. But I dont think its an adustable buttpad, I think the whole stock is like that. Its just a 686 white onyx and its new so no one has tampered with it yet. Any idea why the gun would come like this from the factory?

7. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

A bettrer way to see what it is is to hold the gun at the muzzlem and look down to the butt. If the heel of the butt is to the left of an imaginary straight line from the muzzle to the heel, of the butt it is "cast off". If it is to the right it is "cast on". The amount by which the centerline of the heel of the butt deviates from that straight line determines the amount of cast, such as 1/4 inch, etc..

"Cant" has nothing to do with this determination nor the measurement thereof.

8. grntitan

I would say if it has no adjustable pad hardware, then it was custom made twisted as such for somebody. Sounds like a twisted stock. Also as V10 was stating above, there are stocks that are cast for right, left and neutral shooters. They appear to be angled or curved in the various before mentioned directions.
    grntitan_2009_250367.jpg

grntitan_2009_250371.jpg

9. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

This picture is crude, but it works.
    StockCast.jpg
    The view is looking down on the gun.

"Cast" is relative to the horizontal plane of the bore.

"Cant" is relative to the vertical plane of the receiver.

Both cast and cant are measured angles. Cast is usually expressed in fractions of inches at the heel, i.e. 1/4" cast at heel. Cant is usually represented by fractions of inches at the toe, i.e. 1/4" toe out.

Just to confuse things more, there is a measurement best described as "offset." A stock with an adjustable comb, that can be moved left or right, is adjustable for offset; not cast. Because you are not altering the angle of the stock, you're not really adjusting the cast. You are adjusting the offset.

10. bonzai272

bonzai272 Member

Those crude pics help explain cast a lot. Im definitely not talking about cast then. I guess its canted then...since what im referring to is the vertical plane. What would canting it to the left so that the toe is out for a right handed shooter do?

11. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

The British refer to this as "cast at toe".

12. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

Rolin

we need you ??

13. v-strom 650

v-strom 650 Member

Twist or toe out (what you are calling canted) at the butt pad of the stock helps position the recoil pad better in the pocket created at the junction of the chest and shoulder when the gun is mounted. It's mostly a comfort thing but does improve consistency in your gun mount. J.Terre

14. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Yes, the reason to cant the pad is due to the shoulder pocket. If you look in a mirror you will see that your shoulder pocket is not vertical. By canting the pad a little, the pad has a better chance of contacting the pocket evenly.

Unfortunately, many shooters use cant to fix a problem that really should be fixed by altering the pitch.

15. bonzai272

bonzai272 Member

Makes sense. Thanks for all the input guys!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.