1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question On Smith & Wesson Model 59 Pistol

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hauxfan, Sep 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I have a chance to buy a Smith & Wesson, Model 59 with I believe a nickel finish and I would like to know about the ball park figure that this gun sells for.

It is in a like new condition. The person who had it did not shoot it very much.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Hauxfan!

2. Baber

Baber TS Member

Hauxfan:

You need to be careful here. This pistol has a history of jamming problems. One gun magazine actually went so far as put a do not buy statement. I had its earlier version the 39 it was a dog. Threw the ejector out of the gun in he first 75 rounds. There are better 9mm's on the market.

Tom

3. Hauxfan

Thanks Tom, I did not know that. I'll be the first to admit, I am a newbie when it comes to this type of firearm.

But as an afterthought, didn't a bunch of different high patrol and policemen carry these as there official sidearm a few years back?

Hauxfan!

4. larryjk

larryjk Member

One gun rag that does not take advertising has a habit of testing guns with a few shots and if something happens, they throw the book at it. I have had many of the guns they don't like and have had nothing but good results. Sometimes I wonder if their people know what they are doing. The 59 had a history of jamming if the person shooting it was a "limp wrister". You need to lock your wrist shooting any semiauto. What was the problem with the Model 39? Only 8 shots.

5. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

I've a 5906 S&W, which I believe is just a stainless model 59.

It's been an excellent gun, good rugged adjustable sights, decent trigger and has never jammed. I don't shoot it allot but I'm sure I've fired 1000 rounds threw it.

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

They do have a history of being unreliable - an early wonder 9 that didn't live up to expectations. Don't believe that then check the market. There are many other excellent 9mm pistols on the market that will serve you better.

7. Hauxfan

I think it is a Model 5906. Don't know if that makes a difference or not.

Hauxfan!

8. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

What I know about semi-auto handguns is limited at best but I'm pretty sure Smith 39's and 59's were first generation pistols. They were followed by 459's and other second generation Smiths which were in turn replaced by third generation models like 5906.

sissy

edited addition: I have a 5906. It was former cop gun. As the previous poster mentioned, a boat load of departments traded them in on .40 caliber pistols from various makers.

9. oz

oz Active Member

I had a 59 and it never jammed. I even used 357 158 grain lead bullets in reloads and it worked fine. oz

10. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

I have had two S&W 39's and one 659 (stainless first generation Model 59). I shot at least a 1000 rounds of factory 115 gr. FMC's...never had a jam in any of them They are excellent pistols.

My only complaint was the transition from double to single action after firing the first shot. The trigger changed position dramatically, and if you didn't change your grip, follow up shots were difficult.

bluedsteel

11. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

I bought a Model 39 in the early 70's. The gun hated 90 gr. & 115 gr. hollow pointed older (early 70's) Sierra bullets due to their shape; however, functioned 100% when using Speer or Hornady 115 or 124 gr. either hollow point or FMJ. The 90 gr. & 115 gr. Sierras functioned 100% in a WWII P-38 though. I thought there was too much slop in the trigger as compared with my .45 1911. I remember only windage elevation on the rear sight. Overall, I liked the Model 39 even though I sold it in the 1980's. Kinda wished I kept it. BT-100dc

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The only one of this family I kept was a Model 52 (.38 Special Wadcutter), and it's a target pistol.

I like the 39, but there are better pistols. The 59 sucks, and is even more touchy than the 39 for bullet design. I found both to be reliable with FMJ but few use FMJ for defense.

13. ky4some

ky4some Member

Like others have said the S&W model 59 is not real desireable. Jamming issues plagued this first generation model. The 5906 on the other hand is a great 2nd generation Smith. I have several fellow handgunners than own them and they are 100% reliable. And since they are stainless, they are heavy and easy on recoil. My favorite Smith 9mm semi-auto is the 3rd generation guns. They have an alloy frame and blued slide. I have the model 915 and it is a 100% reliable great shooter. They also made a model 910 which is a little less money. They called it a value line. The slide was more squared which is a little less money to produce. The sights are also plastic rather than metal. But don't let the "value" word scare you. The model 910 is a great handgun.

I would pass on the model 59. If you are looking for a Smith you should be able to find a nice used 5906, 5903, 915 or 910 and do much better. Smith also made a Sigma in 9mm on a polymer frame. The trigger was quite heavy but they are a great value for the money.

Mike Kamer

14. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Just my two cents - I have owned two model 59's and three 39's. All three 39's functioned perfectly. Both of the 59 models jammed. I honed and polished and tuned them and never had any more trouble. I don't consider that unusual as I have had to do the same with several other new automatics including Colt Goldcups and other expensive pistols. I personally would not hesittate to buy one. That said I have carried a Sig P220 for over 20 years now and nothing I have ever shot compares to it in my opinion. In over 20 years with a couple thousand rounds through it I have never had a problem with any kind of ammo

15. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

I purchased a Model 59 30+ years ago and it has been in my safe most of that time. Just recently I took it out and thought I would shoot it some and discovered that it won't stay cocked for the single action shot. Haven't found out what to do about that yet. My call to S&W indicated possibly a Sear spring issue. My gunsmith hasn't had time to look at yet to see what is wrong.

Allen

16. Hauxfan

Thanks for all of your good opinions and advice.

I did end up buying it and it is a Model 5906.

It won't be my primary carry gun (when I carry) but it will be more or less just a plinker for me when I'm out having a little plinking fun.

Thanks again for all of the input from everyone.

Hauxfan!

17. JoeE1

JoeE1 TS Member

I had a mdl. 39 for a very long time and yep, sold it. Big mistake as I never had a jam, and it carried very well plus I liked the grip. I still have two pach. wrap around grips for it or the 439. Wish I still had it.

Joe

18. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I had a 5906 and shot it a lot, it's a good service pistol. I never had a single jam or problem.

19. Hauxfan

Okay, as to the jamming problem, I don't think I have one.

I went out this morning and ran a bunch of shells through pretty fast and even used two different brands of ammo. One being hollow point and the just regular, or ball if you will.

Not one jam or failure to feed.

Looks like a keeper to me.

Hauxfan!

20. JoeE1

JoeE1 TS Member

Hauxfan,
    Good to hear.

Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
model 59 smith & wesson wont stay cocked