1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question on shooting Yardage

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 2500 HD, Aug 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

I have a question on shooting backed up yardages as opposed to singles. Our traveling trap league consists of shooting 1 round of trap at 16, 19, and 22 yrd line. The last two shoots I have ran 50 straight(25's at the 16 & 19 yrd) and I follwed up with a 19 at the 22 yrd at bot shoots. I have ran 25's at the 19 yard line 4 shoots in a row. Every shoot is at a different club. Even when practicing lately I have ran 25's on the 16 & 19rd line and follow up with 21 or so on the 22 yrd line. I smash the straight aways up close but they are killing my scores at the 22 yrd line. Just can't see how 3 yards would change that much. My question is do I need to adjust my comb up or down? I don't know what to do. I am shooting a BT 99 with 34" Inv plus with a Gra Coil , No cut comb. My breaks appear to be centered up close. Please give me some advice. Thanks Ken

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

It is simple. A few of those handicap targets are "upwardly mobile". Just "get up into" the 22 yard targets a little more.

3. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

You need to slow down. As you move back further there is less gun movement involved and your swing needs to be slower and smoother. The further back you go the more gun control you need and any mistakes you make are magnified by yardage. Point them out really well. You're not having any trouble with 19 yards because you don't shoot them any different than singles and if you make a mistake you will often get lucky and chip them. I didn't notice any difference in between handicap and singles until I got to the 22. I wouldn't change anything on the gun.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

A trip to the patterning board might be helpful. Compare your guns POI at 16 and 22 yards and see if there is any change. HMB

5. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Experiment a little. Add a shim, change to a tighter choke, slow down, hold lower, focus on the bird harder, go to a 3 dram load, etc, etc.

Finding the answer is the fun part of trap shooting.

Oh ya, KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.