1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question?? On Selling Handgun -

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by Ohio Steve, May 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ohio Steve

Ohio Steve TS Member

0   0   0

I have read everything on selling and shipping of a handgun.

Recently I sold and shipped UPS a handgun:

Sent Next day air to a FFL
    Adult signature required
    Informed counter contents of package

All is well

I receive a phone call from buyer wanting to know where a copy of my drivers license was. The receiving dealer would not transfer the possession with out it.

I can see why maybe a copy of drivers license could be wanted for the receiving FFL dealer to fill out paperwork.

NO WHERE have I read that I need to send a copy of my drivers license. Is this normal?? If I missed something could you show me where that information is at.

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

0   0   0

They have to have proper ID to log it in, send it

3. andybull

andybull Active Member

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

Send it.

Andy.

4. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

0   0   0

Within the last year or so, ATF has advised my FFL that, if they receive a firearm from someone who is not an FFL, then they need to get a copy of the sender's D/L.

I don't think this is in the law, but my FFL complies since he doesn't want any trouble with ATF. Can't blame him.

Bob

5. new loader

new loader Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Ask if the FFL will accept a faxed driver license. It will speed the process along if it doesn't have to go in the mail.

6. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Handguns, when shipped to another state, must go from FFL in sending state to FFL in receiving state. If you did not have a FFL send the gun for you, I suggest you delete this post ASAP.

Easystreet

7. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

0   0   0

To quote the BATF regs:

(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier? [Back]

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

EVERYONE should copy and keep this handy. I'm surprised this question keeps coming up!

AndyH ;-)

8. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

AndyH,

Thanks. I stand corrected. I was thinking about the situation of a non-licensee shipping a handgun through the USPS (which they are not allowed to do). Rather, they must use a common or contract carrier or else get a FFL to ship it for them through the USPS.

-----------------------------------------------------------

"(B7) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?[Back]

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]"

Easystreet

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.