1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question on salt cured Superpose stock

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dog easy, Jan 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dog easy

dog easy TS Member

Would it be reasonable to assume that if a "salt cured" stock on a 20ga Superposed Browning was going to rust metal it would have already done so in 40 years? What am I missing here? I keep reading that the salt cured stocks are to be avoided at all cost. Is there a better 20ga skeet gun in your opinion?

Shoot safe, John

2. trapperpg

trapperpg Member

I don't think I have ever seen a salt gun that did not have any damage at all, at least in the hot humid south. It may be you don't have a salt stock. Use silver nitrate to check, by removing the buttplate, scrape a small spot down to bare wood, and apply silver nitrate. If it stays purple, no salt; if it turns white, salt. If you are not the original owner, it could have been replaced/repaired during Brownings warranty campaign.

pg

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

In its day, the Super was a good, if light, Skeet gun. These days, there are many better ones.

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

What trapperpg said. Try and remove the buttstock screws. If their rusted, it's saltwood... You can get good information from

Arts Gunshop

5. dog easy

dog easy TS Member

Thanks for the link BigM. That is some great information. Just exactly what I was looking for.
    Thanks again.

Shoot safe, John

6. dog easy

dog easy TS Member

Thanks for the link BigM. That is some great information. Just exactly what I was looking for.
    Thanks again.

Shoot safe, John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.