1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question on Ruger Blackhawks

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Scoutman 06, Jan 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scoutman 06

Scoutman 06 Member

I have been looking at some ads for Ruger Blackhawks & noticed that some of the .357/.38's & also the .45LC's offer an extra cyclinder to shoot the auto ammo. Since these do not have a roll out cyclinder for use of moon clips, what secures the rounds in the cyclinder. Thanks, John

2. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

The end of the brass maybe? What secures the round in a 45 Auto chamber?

3. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

.45 auto headspaces on the case mouth

4. ctreay

ctreay Member

38/357 brass is the same except for length so they use the same cylinder. I have a .45LC but do not have the ACP conversion but I would imagine it is a seperate cylinder bored for the brass headspacing on the case mouth.

ctreay

5. Rum River

Rum River TS Member

Scoutman, I have one of these, and the other posters are correct. The ACP cylinder is bored to duplicate a semi-auto chamber.

As mentioned, the .38 Special/.357 Magnum needs just the one cylinder to shoot both calibers. One variation of the .357 Blackhawk comes with a second cylinder to shoot 9mm Luger in the same fashion as the .45 ACP. Dan

6. tulsey

tulsey Member

Since you don't have to worry about an extractor on the Blackhawk type single action, the revolvers can and have been chambered for other rimless cartridges. There have been some 38-40, dual cylinder Rugers. I don't remember if the second cylinder was 10 mm or .40 S&W. It could have been either, but in a Single Action you could not shoot both. Of course the .30 Carbine has been offered for many years in the Blackhawks. The instructions for the 9mm and .45 Blackhawks say not to use lead bullets because a lead build up in those cylinders that have cartridges that headspace on overall length could have problems with lead build up. If a person had lots of blank cylinders, you could chamber a .357 Blackhawk for .38 Super,.380, and probably .357 Sig.

A really wierd dual cylinder Blackhawk could be made in .41 Magnum with an extra cylinder for .41 Action Express.

The .30 Carbine Blackhawk could have extra cylinders made for .30 Luger, .30 Mauser, 7.65 cartridge for the Russian pistols. While they are a little larger in bullet diameter, there have been other single shot adapters that used .32 ACP or .32 S&W in firearms with the same .308 barrels as the Ruger Blackhawk .30 Carbine. A person who had nothing better to do could have a cylinder made for .30 Pederson device

The .327 Federal Blackhawks have 8 shot cylinders and can shoot .32 S&W, .32 S&W Long, .32 H&R in the original cylinder, but a new cylinder could let you shoot .32 ACP and you could get one made for those .30 pistol rounds and the bullet would rattle a little so maybe the accuracy would not be too great, but if you had an unlimited supply of ammo for a CZ-52 you could have a revolver to shoot the same ammo.

The .45 Blackhawk could have extra cylinders made not only for .45 ACP, but it could have an extra cylinder made for 45 Auto Rim or even the .45 GAP or .45 Win. Magnum.

I am sure there are even more possible combinations that someone could come up with

7. trapshootin hippie

Tulsey, ya can shoot the 32 auto in the 32 H&R mag revolvers without extra cylinder. Any 32 will work there. Dunno bout in the 327 tho.

8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Th, what allows the. 32 auto headspace in a .32 mag???

9. trapshootin hippie

Rim is a lil bit bigger. Not allowing the case to go in farther.

10. tulsey

tulsey Member

I have heard that, but never got around to trying it in my Ruger 32 H&R guns. Also forgot about the 32 H&Rs that came with an extra cylinder for .32-20., Since the .327 is just a longer case of the same general design as the H&R, Long and S&W it probably would shoot the .32 auto also

My uncle years ago had one of those 7.65 32 auto Brownings WWII surplus pistols that he could shoot the 32 S&W shorts in because at the time the ammo was cheaper

11. surfcitydude

surfcitydude Member

[​IMG]

I have one of the .45LC/.45acp convertibles you are referring to. Mine is a stainless "Bisley" model. It dos come with a changeable cylinder, and as others have said, the cap is chambered a little different so it doesn't rely on the larger rim like a long colt. I can tell you this, it is a fantastic shooting gun, very accurate and very easy to control. The ability to shoot cap is nice for a savings on ammo, but the Long Colt is just so damn loud and fun. I've been buying bulk ammo at the gun show for $110/ 250 rounds, brand new. at that price, it isn't worth it to me to use the cap, that's reserved for my Colt 1911.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.