1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question on Rem.1100 Barrels

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by redbone99, Nov 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redbone99

redbone99 Member

I notice at least 2 different style of vent rib on 1100 over the yrs. The most common seems to be a gradual taper to the receiver and some seem to have sort of a step up. If some one could enlighten me on this and would the 2 different style ribs have different POI. Thanks,Dave

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

The short version of the long story - as far as I know it anyway - is that the "flat rib" was generally used on field barrels while the "stepped" rib was common to target barrels. But lately, Remington has only used the flat rib on all its ribbed barrels. Others may have more detailed information but the stepped ribs are considered more desireable by target shooters. Because the rib height at the muzzle on both styles is the same, they both shoot to the same POI.

Ed

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If the rib is low by the muzzle and high by the receiver it is a trap barrel with a high POI.

If the front and rear are about the same height it is a flat shooter used for skeet or sporting clays. HMB

4. redbone99

redbone99 Member

I guess the 2 replies answers my question on the 1100 ribs. Thank You

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Ed hit the nail on the head. But I'll add that the early trap barrels were also flat ribbed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.