1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question on reloading

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Johnny, Mar 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

You don't need genuine Rem or Win components to make good reloads and you'll save money too. I avoid the cheap primers though, use Win.

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If you are duplicating STS and Nitro 27 you will be using Titegroup powder.

The performance will not vary much whether you use Winchester or Remington Primers, but there is a difference in the powder charge for the same velocity with either.

I would rather use genuine Remington TGT or Figure 8 wads if I have a choice.

The Claybuster clones work too but I have not used many, don't know about plastic build up.

HM

3. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

If you chrnograph STS you will find they average 1200fps, Nitro 27's are all over the place from 1350fps to 1215fps. Chrno your load to 1200fps and you will match the STS. The STS are very consistant. Try 20 grains of Green Dot, figure 8 wad, WWAA or STS shell, & WW primer. They will Chrno at 1200fps and have about the same recoil. At least from my testing, and those are the shells and loads I use most of the time for HC-27yds.

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I've found using Rio primers or cheddite's there is no apparent difference in performance except price. Many comment that they are oversize, thus you may not return to WW/Rem primers after using them. I've not found that an issue as I reload the same shells 5 or 6 times at least anyway.

Claydot powder from Alliant has become a cheaper alternative to Clays.

Hulls, you pick up those dastardly remington gun clubs you'll never now the difference.

5. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

The most expensive is not necessarily synonymous with the best. In most parts of the country Cheddite or Fiocchi primers are among the least expensive and their performance is equal to or superior to any other primer. In my experience, Downrange wads are the least expensive, yet high quality. Personally, I like Rex II powder. It loads like Green Dot, shoots like Green Dot and costs $208 per 25 lbs.

6. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

Even more important is use the components that you feel good shooting. The load that you have confidence in will be worth the cost of the components for the load. Then buy those components in volume at the best price you can.

If you can't and still like to load your own do so the cost is still less expensive.

Rock

Jim

7. ec90t

ec90t Guest

shot410ga,

Becareful about what you are stating. Nitro 27 1 1/8oz hadicaps will run about 1235fps give or take a little. The 1oz Nitro's will clock in about 1300fps.The Nitro Sporting Clays are the ones that will clock in at 1350fps or so. The first two being legal for trap and one is not! Make sure what the box says and don't scare people by saying that Remingtons loads are all over the place speed wise.

ec90t

8. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I stick with the same quality reloading components that work well for me. Just about every time I have tried a substitute component, I have been disappointed sometimes really pi$$ed off. I may pay a little more for components, but I want quality reloads suitable for registered shooting.

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

ec90t: That's just what my Chrnograph says, Nitro 27's go all over the place, STS are all very close to 1200fps. So are WWAA 3 dram, right at 1250fps. Nitro 27's, at least in my testing have not been consistant.

10. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I agree with of what Alfermann has to say. The relatively new Down Range wads work great for me and the price is right. Rex 2 powder is a great powder and shoots very soft although somewhat dirty. But what the hay, you have to clean the gun anyway. It shoots very soft. Nothing wrong with Cheddite primers except they are French

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.