1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question on reload

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by schneep, Jul 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schneep

schneep Member

ok, I am back to trap shooting after a 30 year + absence,
    I would like to know the opinions on the following

Win AA hulls

I use Alliant e3 powder

Win 209 primer (considering changing to Cheddite 209) ??

1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2 shot

CB1118-12SV wad

I have the following bushings for my MEC loader

Most shooting for now will be at 16 yards ( Last nights scores 23,23,24,21)
    These were all loaded with the 31 bushing
    Am I wasting powder by not going down in bushing size based on my shooting at this time ??

I am sure this is an elementry question for most of you?? But not for me

Thanks in advance for any and all answers.

2. Gary Beer

Gary Beer Member

Question is how many grains of powder is the #31 bushing throwing?

3. schneep

schneep Member

According to the chart:

31= 17.9

30= 17.4

29= 16.9

28= 16.4

I will check by scale in the morning to see actual.

4. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

schneep:

Welcome back to trap shooting and to reloading.

I would highly recommend that you buy a reloading scale. A simple balance beam scale is sufficient and cost under $100.

The load you are using seems to be working for you.

Looking MEC bushing chart on their website, they list the #31 bushing as dropping 17.9 grains of E3. In actuality, as MEC typically overstates the drop weight, the bushing is probably dropping between 17 and 17.5 grains.

Looking at the Alliant web site, the components you list, assuming that the CB1118-12SV wad is equivalent to a Winchester WWAA12 wad and the bushing is dropping 17 grains, your load IMO produces 1200 FPS and 10,450 PSI. This load is called a "heavy" trap load.

This load is rather high pressure and is approaching the pressure limits for a 12 gauge shell. If the bushing is dropping more than 17 grains, you may be in excess of pressure limits.

You need to get a scale and check the weight of your powder drop,

You may want to consider using a #29 bushing which should drop 16 - 16.5 grains and reduce the velocity to about 1145 FPS and the pressure to under 10,000 PSI.

This load should be sufficient for 16 yards and short handicap. You will also get more loads per pound of powder and should experience a significant drop in recoil. This load is called a "light" trap load.

Ed Ward

5. HTSmith

HTSmith Active Member

Yep, checking on a scale is the thing to do. I've had variations up to a full grain from what the chart indicated. Welcome back!

BTW another trick that could save you money and recoil would be to cut back to 1 oz of shot. The E3 will still work fine and your wads may also work depending on the hull.

6. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

See if you can find someone to trade you STS or Nitro27 hulls for your AAs (not likely), even at 2 for 3. Lot less headaches. Good luck.

7. schneep

schneep Member

Just ran a sample test with the 31 bushing (17.9 according to chart)

School teacher, you were right on. Low of 17.0 High of 17.5

I will run the same test with a 29 and then a 30 bushing and bring results back.

Thanks for the feed back (I need it!!)

8. schneep

schneep Member

Ran the 29 and 30 bushing

29 bushing

16.3, 16.4, 16.4, 16.2, 16.3, 16.3, 16.1, 16.2, 16.4, 15.8 High 16.4 Low 15.8

30 bushing

17.3, 17.0, 17.0, 17.0,16.9, 17.0, 16.9, 17.0, 16.8, 16.8 High 17.3 Low 16.8

Again School Teacher you were right on with the 29 bushing!! Thank you

I have several thousand Win AA, and Fed Patriot hulls and would like to load both.

Recomendations, comments???

9. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

Where did you get your load data??? If you're loading 17.3 e3, Waa12 and Win209 you are above Alliants recommended load. I would think about 15g would be much more user friendly, and still give you 1100fps. I can only urge you to check the powder manufacturer website for recommended loads. Its all there.
    Mike

10. schneep

schneep Member

The load data and bushing I had been using (31 bushing) is what was recommended by MEC when I talked to them while getting my reloader rebuilt.
    The 31 bushing is rated by MEC at 17.9 gr. but actual was 17.0 to 17.5

After the tests I just did, I will be changing to the 29 bushing which ran from 15.8 to 16.4 gr. actual. It is rated 16.9 by MEC

11. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

schneep:

You made a good decision to drop back to a #29 bushing for your Win AA reload. I bet you will break as many or more targets with it. A light trap load is plenty for 16 yard and short handicap and it will not beat you to death with recoil.

If you plan to reload the Federal hulls, be advised that Federal hulls have straight sides and Winchester hulls (and Remington hulls) have tapered sides. This means that the WWAA12 wad you are using in the Winchester hull may not seal tightly in the Federal hull.

Federal (and Claybuster, Downrange and others) makes a special wad for the Federal hull. These are the 12S0 (1 oz.), 12S3 (1 1/8 oz.) and 12S4 (1 1/4 oz.).

Also, if you have not done so already, you need to visit the Alliant web site and learn how to use their online reloading guide. It will give you a world of information and may keep you out of a world of trouble. You and access it through this website or visit it directly at http://www.alliantpowder.com.

A lot has changed in the 30 years you have been away from shooting. There are many more brands and types of powders, wads and primers. I find it best to stick with a few basic loads and not try to experiment with a new load each week.

As to powder, I stick with Alliant because it is available, American made and reasonably priced. In addition to E3, you will notice many different Alliant powders. Each powder has its own burning rate and is intended for a specific range of loads. There is no powder that does everything. I try and keep my pressure level between 8,000 PSI and 10,000 PSI for cleaning burning and good performance all year round.

I shoot both ATA registered and games. I use E3 for 1 oz., Green Dot for 1 1/8 oz., Unique for 1250fps 1 1/8 oz., Herco for 1 1/4 oz., and Blue Dot for 1 3/8 oz loads.

Again, welcome back and good shooting.

Ed Ward

12. v-strom 650

v-strom 650 Member

These results are very interesting to me; I just started reloading w/ E3 in my old Mec Grabber and my drops w/ a 31 bushing have been pretty consistently running 16.0-16.2gr. My beam scale is calibrated and also weighs the same as 2 other peoples scales. Goes to proove you should always check your drops from lot to lot w/ any powder. J.Terre

13. oz

oz Active Member

mikkeh 15G is 15 grams....15 Gr is 15 grains. have to be right when using gunpowder and dynamite.

14. schneep

schneep Member

Thanks School Teacher,

For the Federal hulls I use Clay Buster 6118-12 which is for the Federal.
    As for powder I will be staying with Alliant and for most it will be the e3.
    I also will be dropping to 1 oz. of shot also.

I plan on working the Federal hulls out of the mix and maybe the Win AA I have just purchased 2000 Nitro hulls which everyone seems to agree makes a better re-load.

I have loaded 1000 Fed, 1000 Win AA, and will be loading 1000 Nitros to compare for length of service and shootability for me.

I agree, that things have really changed!! I remember loading Fed papers with cardboard powder wads and felt spacer wads, all paper hulls were 6 star crimp at that time. Then plastics came along.

Thanks for all the help and encouragment,

Perry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.