1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question on Releaae Triggers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 12ShotTwo, Nov 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

Could someone explain what a release trigger is and how it is used? Thanks

2. Release Trigger

Release Trigger Member

12ShotTwo.

As I shoulder my gun I set (pull) my trigger, call pull and Release as I get to the bird, then immediately set (pull) trigger again to set for my second Release onto my second bird.

Here in Australia there are not to many Release Trapshooters but if it were not for a Release Trigger I would have given the game away years ago.

I put up with a flinch/freeze watever you want to call it, nothing worked over a 8 month period, new guns, new stocks, different cartridges, tried a Release and never looked back.

"Release Trigger" aka.Gary Kennerson........Downunder.

PS. Marvelous how the human brain can adapt.

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Gary- I, like you shoot a release trigger but I live in Virginia and you live in Australia. I set my trigger and then release the trigger to shoot the gun. But, since you are upside down compared to me, would you first release the trigger and then set it to shoot? Am I confused?

Pat Ireland

4. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Pat, I think Release Trigger may be shooting doubles.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

JB,,, you need another cup of coffee...

Pat, now that was funny...

6. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Release triggers are generally associated with American Trap and almost exclusively an American made product. Many foreign shooters are afflicted with the dreaded flinch without an alternative like the release. This statement comes from one of my Irish shooting associates who now shoots a release.

Maybe not as dumb a question as some of us think!!

7. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

A release trigger is designed to fire the gun as you "release" the trigger, instead of when you "pull" the trigger. You mount the gun and pull the trigger to set it. You maintain pressure on the trigger, holding it back, and release the pressure when you want the gun to fire. Can be installed in most guns by a gunsmith at a cost of $250 and up per barrel.
    I think the theory is the release in a more natural movement than the pull...like when you throw a ball you relax the muscles in you hand......a more natural muscle movement.
    O/U guns can be made for pull/pull, release/pull, release/release etc.
    Hope this helps.

8. Release Trigger

Release Trigger Member

Pat,

JB Had it right I was referring to doubles, here in Oz we shoot a lot of Double barrel (two shots at target) shooting a double Release takes some getting used to as we rarely need to use the second and have to break the gun with the second barrel already set.

Pat we have had the pleasure of meeting each other, myself and a couple of buds shot the 2006 Virginia State at Winchester VA with you guy's, would love to do it again sometime.

Australia is a long way from you guys but then again we are not to different, still put my pants on the same as you, one leg at a time. (LOL)

Respectfully.........Gary Kennerson.

9. fly

fly Active Member

You don't need to set your release prior to calling for the target, some of us shooters set them after we see the bird. personal choice G'day Mate.

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

Gary- I do remember meeting your gang. A fine bunch. I shoot a double release. I fear allowing two shots at one bird if necessary would greatly confuse me.

I also know that you are the same as I am, but that will not stop me from asking illogical questions that make good natured fun at the Southern Hemisphere. You must realize that I am unhappily facing Winter now and you are in Spring. I am deeply jealous.

Pat Ireland

11. Release Trigger

Release Trigger Member

Pat.

6am. Monday morning here, just a quick daily fix of Trapshooters before heading off to work.

Thought you would like to know 85 Degrees here today and predicted all week long, practically wear shorts all year round here in Sydney (long pants possibly 4 weeks a year).

Not sure I would like your winters, the old arthritis would play merry hell with me, warmer weather suits me just fine.

Mate you are not alone at poking fun at us Downunder, the most common question when I travel over to your great country is always "do the targets fly upside down" us Aussie's have a very broad sense of humour and takes a lot more than you can dish out to upset me.

Enjoy your day, life is short live it to the fullest.

Regards....Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.