1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

question on Radial saw ( Dewalt B & D 15 years age

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by cubancigar2000, Feb 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I picked up a Dewalt Black & Decker 10" Radial saw for almost nothing from a friend who was not using it. It runs fine and quiet but it needs cleaning and lubed here and there. I cannot figure out how to make it swivel to mitre or rip. It has a lever at the top rear but does not seem to work. It seems like it may be froze to the shaft but maybe I just need help LOL. I cannot find a manual on the web so If anyone has one of these and can offer a clue I would appreciate it. This is a model 3420

2. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

CC: Look on the slide just above where you put your hand to pull the carriage, there should be a knob that you PULL UP this will release the head and allow you to turn for ripping. I DON'T recommend ripping with a RA saw but if you must be sure to do it from the BACK because if you rip from the front it will grab the piece between the blade & the fence and send it flying. Try to find a carpenter--cabinet shop--etc. or at least someone familiar with them as they can be very dangerous, they are best used as a cut-off saw. You can probably guess how I learned this, fortunately no injury just a ripping stuck through the wall at the other end of the garage. To miter the complete swing arm will move, probably a lock of some type on the rear of the main post. Many different styles of locks and I'm not familiar with that particular model #.Ross Puls

3. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I have used a radial arm saw for 40 years doing all sorts of cutting operations. Ripping is very easy and safe if you are careful and follow the safety rules. You can rip clear out to 24" or so, dado, miter, and crosscut. I bought a miter saw so I very rarely use the RA saw to miter.

To pivot the arm, raise the blade to miss the table, pull the lever, and stop at the degree you want. Some saws have a clamp at the back to release the arm for pivot.

To pivot the head to rip, either release the clamp, raise the blade, pull the knob up, pivot. On the saw pictured, raise the blade, pull the handle towards you to push the bonnet looking thing to the side, that releases the head. Mine is worn so I have to reach up and pull the bonnet down with my fingers to release the head.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

I'm with Ross, you can't be carefull enough with them. I also happen to speaking of a 16" so there's a big difference in power.

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Thx guys, I fixed the mitre prob by using kroil oil on the cog, it was stuck so when you put pressure on the handle it did not come out of the cog but does now. Now I will see if 3200 helpedme with the pivot to rip. My saw looks identical to yours. Not sure what you mean by bonnet unless it is that 1/2 cup shaped thing in your picture. Yep, that did it. I had to pull tha cup down by hand. That seems like a mickey mouse deal right there. I will rig up something that works. Thanks so much guys. I am rolling now just need to read up on safety. I doubt I will be ripping except on a rare occassion and it would be small stuff

6. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Ripping is easier and safer with a really sharp blade. If your blade to fence distance is small and you have a long skinny piece, rip it half way, pull it out, flip it, and rip the other half. Also, I varnished my table and applied wax to aid in ripping.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.