1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

question on PW loader with hydraulic unit on sale

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by threedeuces, Feb 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

Gary, I cant speak on the hydro but I just installed the electric drive and auto case feeder on my 800+ and all I can say is wow. It flat puts out factory looking shells one after another. The only problem I have is I enjoy reloading a great deal and I can load up a flat of shells in know time so I run out of something to do. I have herd that the Hydro's are noisier and will start to leak and cause a mess.

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

Gary- I have used a PW hydraulic unit for many years. It has worked well for me. If I were to buy a new press, I don't know if I would select hydraulic or electric but I doubt I would be disappointed with either.

Pat Ireland

3. Neal Crausbay

Neal Crausbay Member

I have used the PW single cylinder hydraulic unit on a PW950 Elite for 15 years and it has never leaked a drop of oil and works perfectly. A really nice setup.

4. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I just purchased the Auto Drive electric unit for my P/W 900. I would say their electric unit will drive the hydraulic unit sales to ZERO. The electric unit is that good! This is why they are discounting the hydraulic unit so they can get rid of their inventory.

Jim Skeel

5. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

Go electric and be done with it!

6. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

There have been several posts on here on how to isolate the noise from a hydraulic unit. Personally I like to listen to music when I reload, not the steady humm of a pump/motor unit makes.

I am a mechanical engineer and a bit of a perfectionist. I have had a P/W Auto Drive for two months now. I have loaded around 2000 shells with it. It is a very good unit. It is very easy to control. You can clear jams with it almost as easy as with manual operation. The slip clutch works well and prevents damage to the loader. It takes up very little space compared to the hydraulic unit.

Jim Skeel

7. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Gary: The hydro is twice the price of the new Electric Drive, and extremely noisy, AND powerful.

I have had a hydro for many years here at the shop, and have to say the best deal is the Electric Drive. It has a clutch which is a bit more forgiving that the powerful hydo.

Get the electric drive, hands down.

Whiz<BR>
    P/W Distributor

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.