1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question on PW 800+ & electric drive

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shot410ga, Jun 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I bought a used PW 800+ and a electric indexing unit. Everything works great, except punching the old primer out of the shell, about every 6th round. The system just stops in the up position, not punching the old primer out. Like the punch is just banging on the inside of the primer but it won't come out. When using the the unit manually there is no problem. It's just happening with the electric drive attachment installed. Any suggestions?

2. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

There is a slip clutch on the Auto-Drive. There are two screws on the arm that adjust the clutch. The clutch adjustment screws are the ones at 6:00 and 12:00 adjacent to the shaft that the arm is on.

[​IMG]

First loosen both screws as they may be secured with loctite. Then tighten each screw the same amount. Contiunue to tighten the screws until it will push the primer out.

Jim Skeel<BR>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor

3. Highrise

Highrise TS Member

wiz white takes care of another PW problem.
    I called him a few weeks ago with a minor problem on a machine I have had and used flawlessly for 20 years. He indicated what the problem was, suggested a couple MINOR parts, shipped them out and I was back in action in minutes.
    A wonderful resource........

4. setool

setool Member

Whiz is certainly "A TRUE WIZARD" !!!

Mark Schneider

5. Squeal

Squeal Member

Jim - you cant catch a break, help a guy and whiz gets the credit.

6. shot410ga

Thanks, Jim. Is this a common issue?

7. skeeljc

I am not sure how common this is. I had to adjust mine when it as new as it would not eject the finished shell. That is when I discovered the screws were held with Loctite. I have noticed that the slip clutch screws tend to tighten with use making the clutch tend not to slip as easy.

I guess I will have to take mine apart and see how it works. Maybe some longer screws with some belleville washers will provide a more constant preload on the slip clutch.

Jim Skeel<BR>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor

8. shot410ga

That procedure worked great. I tightened up the two screws about 1/4 turn and the unit kicks the primers out with no problem.

9. skeeljc

I did take mine apart. The 2" diameter disc on the outside just transfers the pressure from the two screws to the lever. There is a friction disc on the other side of the lever between the lever and the hub on the shaft. I suspect that the friction disc is what drives the lever as the friction between the 2" disc on the outside and the lever is minimal.

I did order some belleville washers to fit over the two 1/4-20 adjusting screws. I will let you know how they work out.

Jim Skeel<BR>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.