1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Question on Purse and Class Purses.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bawana, Jul 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

How does the Purse and class purse work. How do you win cash in then?

2. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

You'll have to read the shoot program to be sure...but generally there are two ways to distribute the money, by percentage and by high gun. They may have other names locally.

But generally, my understanding is that after everyone shoots (lets say handicap), that the scores are lined up, highest to lowest. Lets further say that 10 people played the purse for $10 each, for a total purse of $100, and that the purse was paying 3 places, and that there were two 99s, a 98 and a 97 and a bunch of lower scores.

Under the percentage method...the three places would pay 50%, 30%, 20%...so the two 99s would SPLIT the 50% (25 bucks each), the 98 would get 30% (or $30), and the 97 would get $20.

Under the high gun method...The 97 wouldn't get paid, since the two 99s and the 98 would take all three places.

Read the program...and ask shoot management about how THEY"RE DOING IT THAT DAY to be sure.

How do you win money doing this?? Figure out how many places they're paying, and if you think you can place that high, pay your money and go shoot. Last weekend I finished second in a handicap marathon, but the winner didn't play the purse, so as the highest finisher in the purse I got 40% - the purse that day was paying 4 places, 40%, 30%, 20% and 10%. Had I tied with someone, we would have split the 40% THAT DAY.

It's usually only a $5 or $10 buy in...if that money means nothing to you, and you think you can win or be high enough that you might get a pay, do it. For my money, it makes it more fun when there's a little something out there to shoot for. If you're shooting a bunch of 70s, then you'll probably be better off saving your cash.

Again, different shoots do it different ways...

Shoot well...and hey, if you start winning cash playing the options, I'd suggest doing what I do. Take the payout (which is a LOT different than "winnings") and put it in an envelope in your gunsafe. Pile up the payouts all year long and use it to pay your entry fees to the state shoot. This is the second year in a row I'll cover my shoot with my payouts.

I rather suspect it would have been cheaper just to pay for the state shoot...but this is more fun

jeff

3. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

LOL...John, I wish I could too!

My best explanation of the lewis is this:

Everyone who wants to play the Lewis throws $5 in the pot...again, say there are 20 shooters, and the thing pays percentage (50%, 30%, 20%). So the pots $100. When the shooting is done, you line up the 20 scores...which for sake of arguement we'll say are a 100 straight, all the way down to an 81 (100, 99, 98, 97,etc etc 81). Since it pays 3 classes, and there are 20 shooters...the first group is six shooters, the second group is seven shooters, and so is the third group. So it would look like this:

100 - WINNER, gets 50% or $50
    95 - second place, gets $30, or 30%
    88 - third place, gets %20, or $20.

My understanding is that you count down the number of shooters in the group, draw the line, and pay the score ABOVE the line. If the score above and below are the same, they split that portion of the pot. The first group is always the smallest...so I counted down six shooters to the 95, and paid that score. Counted down 7 more scores to the 88, and paid that score.

I hope that helps...I might be off a bit, but that's pretty close, at least in theory.

jeff

4. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

What Jeff was describing is a Handicap purse where it does not matter where you are shooting from. There can also be a "Yardage Purse" where only people from a certain range of handicap yardage will be competing against each other. That is similar to what a "Class Purse" is about when shooting in 16 yard Singles or Doubles. If you put up the money, you will be competing with people in your class that also put up the money to play the class option. Good advice by Jeff about being realistic about what score you can shoot.

The simple explanation of Lewis Class is that the cashier counts down so many places of the scores of peoples that paid for the Lewis Option and draw lines. If that line is right above your score you win. If they are paying 2 places, you can be one off. John is right, it is a crap shoot, since you will not know were the lines will be. You should check out the Lewis payouts before playing, because if you are averaging below the lowest Lewis score, the odds are against you in hitting the bottom Lewis score.

Jason

5. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

It looks better if you put each score on its own line on a sheet of paper. Didn't come out that way on the post.

You might also start counting with the 99 and go six scores, thereby paying the 94, not the 95.

Basically, however many shooters you have, if you're paying 3 places...divide all the shooters into 3 groups, with the smallest group being the higher scores, and pay the top score in each group.

Have I confused you yet? LOL.

6. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

I have not been shooting as much or as well as I like. Singles I say I will be in the low 90's. HC high 80's and DT mid to high 80's. Now I think its a con toss to play the purse.

7. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

Best (and probably original) lewis class explanation is above.. I was always told that the system was either invented/promulgated by Remington...

8. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

9. motrap

motrap Member

Bwana ........

Jeff's description of the lewis payout is incorrect in many ways ........

read the website jevolia posted ......

also your original question was about the Purse and class purse ......... if there is both of these in the same event, the class purse(s) would only be entered and won by shooters in the SAME class ....... if 12 A shooters entered for $10, and 6 B shooters entered, and 4 C shooters entered; the A shooters would vie for the $120 put in by the A entries, the B shooters would vie for the $60, and C for the $40 ......... all completely separate from the other ....... the Purse would likely be open to all shooters regardless of class. ............ now, after understanding what money is where, now use Jeff's explanation of the Hi-Gun or Percentage systems of money division.

Rudy

10. sglfr45

sglfr45 TS Member

Just remember, when playing the Lewis a 100 straight always pays! Matt

11. motrap

motrap Member

Hard to think of an option that doesn't pay with 100 straight ...............

12. 870

870 Well-Known Member

"Just remember, when playing the Lewis a 100 straight always pays! Matt"

Right you are, and sometimes in singles those hundreds even pay less than the lewis option cost!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.